_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Aluminum studies - 1973 SAAB Viggen!
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 04:16 AM UTC
Finally some progress in my Sk 37 Project - for the Twin seater/trainer campaign - after a long hiatus from modelling. This is what I'll try to accomplish:

The only true 1/72 option currently out there is Heller's 30+ (?) year old kit... Apart from the raised panels and some minor errors, it is a great kit!

Rivets!
Since I had to rescribe all the panel lines, I decided to try and make some rivets as well. First try for me! I must say that it was rather easy (the Heller plastic is perfectly soft). And rivets look so cool on NMF aircraft!!!

A closeup of the office(s) - The seats are from Maestro models and the rest of the interior from Eduards:

METAL!
One of the main reasons for choosing this project was that I wanted to practise on NMF finishes, trying to make it as realistic as possible. I used several nuances of Alclad II. The base is white aluminium, and then certain panels were sprayed with regular aluminium, duraluminium and semi matt aluminium. My intention was that the differences should show, but not become too strong (ā la "checker board").

I used a soft pencil (6B) for the panel lines. Everything was softened with q-tips.

Here's my silverback! I kind of like the effect!

Here's her current status. Many details left to take care of, but hopefully I'll have a shiny new SAAB Sk 37 ready by the end of the campaign!

Comments and advice are welcome!

Cheers! // PolarBear
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 04:33 AM UTC
... and here's some continued progress...

Some details:

Almost there...

Cheers! // PolarBear
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 06:49 AM UTC
I really like your Viggen. Sweden produces some really beautiful aircraft I think. I've always liked them, ever since my father introduced me as a child to the Draken I have enjoyed looking but need to build some Swedish beauties! Good job. Russell
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 11:58 AM UTC
That is a great finish. I'm going to try a humbrol buffing paint and Bare Metal Foil
for my shorts sc1. I hope I'm half as successful as you've been. Looks like it is made
from tin not plastic. definitely not checkerboard.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 11:06 PM UTC
Youv'e done a good job on that one Björn! I'm impressed!

Magnus
 _GOTOTOP