_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
I meet the captain of the memphis belle
tazz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 05:55 AM UTC
hello all happy july 4.
i just got back from the amercain air power musuem in famingdale long island.
the had the the capatian of the memphis belle there.
and the memphis bell b-17 its a copy of the real b-17.
meeting captain morgan was a great thing,
he is truely a hero
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 05:57 AM UTC
I assume we're talking about Capt. Morgan?
He wrote a great autobiography called "the Man Who flew The Memphis Belle." excellent book.
Torque
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 06:26 AM UTC
I weould like to talk with Capt Morgan myseif, you're lucky tazz. I got to see an old B-17 in real life when I was seven yrs old. My love of those old warbirds was born right then and there.

chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 09:28 AM UTC
Not related but kinda funny. When the Collings Foundation brought their B-17 and B-24 to the local airport, mom and I went out to see them. So shes looking around the wing of the 17, bends down to walk under the wing (walking twords the back). She thought she cleared it, bent back up and Pop hit her head on the bottom of the wing. I laughed my as* off. She was pretty pisse* though.
~chip
tazz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 10:37 AM UTC
yes it was captain morgan what a nice guy,,,,,,,,
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 02:37 PM UTC
I met Capt. Morgan last August at the Frederick, MD CAF show. Spoke to him but not as long as I wanted to. A fine gentleman. I had spent all my $$$$$$ and couldn't get anything, though my friend got hios book w/ signature.

A few years earlier same friend got me a WWII photo of the crew and had Capt. Morgan autograph it.

I am gathering quite a collrction of autographs. In 1990 at the Fighter Symposium at the Champlin Fighter Museum I had my copy of the Ragged, Rugged Warriors autographed by Dick Rossi and another AVG pilot, and my copy of Horrido! autographed by Messers. Oscar Boesch, Franz Stigler, Erbst Scheufele, Wolfgang "The Happy Falcon" Falck and Gerhard Kroll. I was there when they fired up the Jumo in Yellow 10. If only I had a recorder......

Another friend sent me Band of Brothers with a personal salutation by Capt. Winters. I missed Gunther Rall because of a flat tire and couldn't get off work to see Gen. Doolittle.

Really, though I am not an autograph hound, there are some I wish I had.
Jeeves
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 02:21 PM UTC
Very cool-- my wife and I met he and his wife a few years back at the Elmira-Corning Wings of Eagles Airshow-- we talked for about 10 minutes-- it was very cool!! Got him to sign a print as well....
 _GOTOTOP