_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Blowing my own trumpet.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 02:38 AM UTC
As I can't get any modelling done I thought that I would show someone elses efforts and blow my own trumpet at the same time

This is an email that I received today:

Quoted Text

Hi Mal,

Remember those masks for the MIIc Hurricane you sent me a while ago, meant for my version of Kuttlewascher’s plane whilst No1 Squadron were at Redhill? Well I’ve finally got around to using those masks; photo attached, please feel free to use this photo any way you wish to promote your wonderful product. Blimey, everything you say about these masks is true and then some, they are brilliant! Ok, for me using them for the first time they were fiddly and a few Anglo-Saxonisms floated out of the studio from time to time, but in the end the reward was well worth the effort.

This vintage Revell-Monogram kit is, like me, really showing its age, coming from 1971, around the time I was last doing modelling before becoming a re-born modeller in the last couple of years. I knew the kit was simple and crude, and that it had a lot of faults, but it wasn’t until I started nailing it together and taking a good look at my sources that I realised just how bad it is. Times have moved on, as has technology and the standards expected of kits, and so this was probably the least pleasurable build I’ve done so far. Ho hum.

In the end I scratch-built the drop tanks, guns and aerial, and to cut a long story short, though I re-engraved a few panel lines and removed some of the pancake-like rivets and added some that are more subtle and realistic, this kit just wasn’t worth spending too much effort on, so instead I decided to crack on and do a very basic job and concentrate on using the kit as a practice platform for your masks, on the theory that if I made a cock-up with them I wouldn’t climb up the walls with rage and frustration at having messed up a good kit.

The ribbed of the side of the Hurricane is a devil anyway, but with everything exaggerated on this ancient kit (almost to the point of caricature) even your wonderful masks couldn’t cope with these peaks and troughs so the paintwork needed a fair bit of touching up after the masks were removed, but nothing that a steady hand and a glass of Scotland’s finest next to me couldn’t sort out.

By the way, correct me if I’m wrong, but as no one else seems to do RAF dull blue or dull red in acrylics (?) I mixed up my own, neither of which, when I stand back and squint at the finished model honestly and objectively, are quite right on this Hurricane. Next time I’ll get this right. One of the reasons why I wanted your masks was that for some reason most decals seem to depict RAF dull blue far too dark, sometimes being a very dark dull indigo - compared to the examples I’ve seen of the real thing that’s way wrong. Maybe it’s just my eyes – I hope not though!

Thanks again for the masks. I will probably knock on your door for some more when I have time to think about other projects for which decals won’t do. I still have that almost as ancient 1/32 Revell Beaufighter kit that I’d love to put together, but so far (again correct me if I’m wrong) I’ve heard nothing about an improving set of resin bits appearing. Patience, patience………

All the best,
Leo

And here is a picture:

White Ensign Models (WEM) "Colourcoats" range of enamel paints have the correct shades of dull red and blue. I have seen some of the masters that Derek Bradshaw is doing for an update set for Revells 1/32 scale Beaufighter, which, I believe, MDC will be producing.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 12:16 PM UTC
Congrats on the great review.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 07:40 AM UTC
Thanks Bryan, I was quite pleased to recieve the feed back. On questioning the customer hadn't fully read my instructions and missed the bit about how to tackle the rib problem. From that I have started to update my instructions again. I won't say anything here but I think that most will like the updated version. I'll post a copy when completed, I might actually be able to sell the instructions without Masks All will become clear in the not too distant future.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 09:53 AM UTC
Hi Mal,

Quoted Text

I won't say anything here but I think that most will like the updated version. I'll post a copy when completed, I might actually be able to sell the instructions without Masks All will become clear in the not too distant future.

Now I'm curious...

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 08:32 AM UTC
Sorry, I can't say here, but Rowan knows and I'm quite happy if you nag him, but please don't say anything just yet. You will understand why, when you know. Maybe I just should of kept me gob shut
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 02:56 AM UTC
My Masks arrived in the post yesterday, they look great and I can't wait to use them.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 - 07:40 AM UTC
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 09:34 AM UTC
I hinted that I might have something special in the instruction department pending; What do you think about this:

Ring any bells?
This is just a draft but it's pretty outstanding even then. Because of the work involved this may not prove to be possible. I do hope to be able to cut the work load and still use Millie Mask for my instructions though
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 11:26 AM UTC
Looks like a great idea Mal, they always say that a picture is worth a thousand words.

Sam

P.S. My hairs about shoulder length, you may want to point that out to the artist
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 12:59 PM UTC
Way to go Mal ! Good for you , it's always nice when a bit of news puts a smile in ones day

Hey Sam ,
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 06:25 PM UTC
Hi Mal,

Excellent! This will reach cult status!

Now, I know what you meant when you said " I might actually be able to sell the instructions without Masks"

Jean-Luc
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 11:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like a great idea Mal, they always say that a picture is worth a thousand words.

That's true as there must be more than a thousand words on the current instructions
I wouldn't mind getting a set of the "new" instructions though and if they're going to be in colour Sams hair is a Mahogany/red colour
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 08:06 AM UTC
I'm really glad to see that the girls aren't taking offence

Quoted Text

P.S. My hairs about shoulder length, you may want to point that out to the artist

You could always have your hair cut? I hope to have a trade stand at Telford in 2010 and I would hope to have a large Millie Mask cut out to attract punters. A real life Millie would be a million times better, do you fancy dressing up Sam

Allen don't read the bit above this

Quoted Text

That's true as there must be more than a thousand words on the current instructions
I wouldn't mind getting a set of the "new" instructions

There are even more if you have a full set of RAF markings I have tried to keep the instructions simple but it hasn't been 100% possible, although I now have the generic stuff on 2 sides of A4 which enables me to get the specific instructions onto one side. In the end I don't think that Millie will illiminate generic instructions, as they, try, and give the customer an insight into the medium that they are dealing with. There are some things that I haven't included because it would mean having another side of A4. The Idea of Millie is to liven up the instructions and to try and make sure that the customer actually reads them. Other masks out there only give you basic instructions (for commercial reasons), but from my own experience users need to have as much information as possible to use the masks succesfully. They then get the most out of the experience and, hopefully come back for more.

Has anyone actually noticed the likeness of style in the drawings?
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 08:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You could always have your hair cut? I hope to have a trade stand at Telford in 2010 and I would hope to have a large Millie Mask cut out to attract punters. A real life Millie would be a million times better, do you fancy dressing up Sam

Go on then
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 08:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Allen don't read the bit above this

maybe you should have warned me before hand.

I've tried convincing her to have a radical change in hairstyle but she won't listen to me.

Quoted Text

well they haven't taken offence to the scantly clad German ladies (Hannah and Fritzi) on Chuck's Me110 thread so why would they take offence of Chuck's rendition of Millie?

Quoted Text

Go on then

If you're really lucky there might be a slim chance of convincing Sam to wear her Camo mini skirt with knee high boots and a Miracle Mask T-shirt (but not too low cut )

I was only joking about the current instructions but I do agree that you would need something to "grip" the reader so they understand what they are meant to be doing hopefully I'll be using the masks you supplied me shortly so I'll see how I fair with using them
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 09:41 AM UTC
Hi Mal,

Quoted Text

Has anyone actually noticed the likeness of style in the drawings?

These are of course drawings by Chuck Wojtkiewicz, aren't they?*

Jean-Luc

* Do I get a free set of instructions for the answer...
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 09:56 AM UTC
Hi Mal.
I think instructions are the BUSINESS!..........
Go for it!!!
Nige
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 06:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you're really lucky there might be a slim chance of convincing Sam to wear her Camo mini skirt with knee high boots and a Miracle Mask T-shirt (but not too low cut )

*Rolls Eyes*
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 09:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Go on then

I'll hold you to that Sam

Quoted Text

These are of course drawings by Chuck Wojtkiewicz, aren't they?*

Yep Jean-Luc

Quoted Text

* Do I get a free set of instructions for the answer...

Just give me a shout if you require masks for your next Mag article and if I have the new instructions sorted by then you will have more than enough to keep you going

Quoted Text

Excellant, I like the idea ( "thinks" note to self, "Don't tell Allen that the Miracle mask T-shirts only come in the low cut veriaty" "thinks")
 _GOTOTOP