_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Dassault Super Etendard 1/48 Airfix/Heller
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 08:13 AM UTC
Hi All

Now that some other projects are nearing its finish line and I still have 2 open Campaigns I (re-)start another project. I began it once for the Falkland/Malvinas campaign. As you can see in the pic I only did some testfitting with the NeOmega pit.

Today I worked a bit on the wing adding the top wing and the wing tips. The fit is pretty bad and I will have to sand quite a bit to get the wing tip to the same tickness as the rest of the wing. And teh wing to fuselage transition also has quite a step, which resulted in some adjustments whih will require further sanding .... we'll see. No pic yet, as I want to get the wing half way smooth before that.

all the best

Steffen
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 11:48 AM UTC
good on you for tackling this. I'm sure you'll you wrestle it into submission, are you using
the kit markings?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 07:28 PM UTC
Thanks J-P

yes I wil try the kit decals for the Malvinas machine .. I will probably leave off the Exocet mission markings (I like to have it in the c&m during the campaign) ..

a pic will follow later today ..

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 11:34 PM UTC
Hi again

the right wing is done (just some more polishing, thus no pic of it) the upper side of the left wing is smoooothed out, but the folding section needs a small extension to fit with the rest of the wing. the lower side still has some steps

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 05:53 AM UTC
Hmm .. I just found one reason why I shelved the project .. I am laking one part from the NeOmega pit, doh. I just wrote them to see if I can get a replacement one or another way ... we'll see.

Meanwhile I glue a few bits and pieces, so that there is at least some small progress .. though nothing to photograph yet.

Furthermore I have a question, could the Flaps be dropped when the aircraft was parked? I glued the air brakes shut but I would like to drop the flaps for a bit more "entertainment" ...

all the best

Steffen
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 10:25 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

..I think the answer to that is no. I'm no pilot but (electrically operated) flap retraction on shutting down the a/c would be standard procedure. BTW just got the lovely new tome on the Etendard from Lela Presse - page views available at the link

http://www.avions-bateaux.com/en/catalogue-livre-catalogue_1245.html
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 08:00 PM UTC
Thank you Neil!

The pic of the dash is good for painting but I will not buy a book for this single project ... OTOH if it were Luftwaffe I would do

Lets hope the guys at NeOmega can help me...

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 11:42 PM UTC
Hello gang

sadly the NeOmega crew did not answer yet .. hope they are not on vacation .. only a few weeks left ...

I worked a bit on the rudder/tailplane assembly. Not much to see but quite a bit of sanding filling and rescribing .. more sanding in to come....

all the best

Steffen
Erlawerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 34 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 10:45 PM UTC
Hi Steffen,
looks really good up to now!
Hope to see more pics soon,
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 10:56 PM UTC
Hi Oliver

Many thanks! ... sadly the project is on hold as I need the instrument panel.

I was in contact with Gordon at NeOmega and he wrote it would be no problem, I just had to pay p&p (which is very o.k. for me). But when i asked for payment details, I got no answer (i wrote twice in that matter!) .. so i guess I will not meet the "Marseillaise" deadline. Still I hope one day I will get that darn part .... (I did not buy the set from Volkhard but a friend bought it for me at Telford, so i cannot bother him with this .... btw I just got some MiG-17 stuff from him ....your model really motivated me to get mine started!)

Just got the necassary paint fo this project, so once I can close the fuselage the project should move ahead...

viele Grüße

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 04:48 AM UTC
Hmm, only 10 days left, so I better get back at this project.

I painted a bit on the dash but as there is much black involved it is not worth photographing yet.

BTW does anyone have some good pictures of the bang seat (1982 Argentinian). I found a walk around on ARC but there are only parts of it shown and this will be the colour spot in the pit with much khaki, OD, Brown and stuff ... so I guess it is worth to get it right (or as good as I can)

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 06:03 AM UTC
A kind soul over at HS Jet Talk provided a link to a pic of the seat ... should give me a good idea ...

(it is from http://www.ejection-history.org.uk)

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 12:37 AM UTC
Hi all

here is some progress ... while waiting desperately for the postman to deliver 2 parcels that are waaaaay overdue (inside Germany 5 days!!!) sometimes i just hate their attitude and want to go kill them all .. I do digress and where're my pills

So here is a pic of the pit so far (actually I already have attached the overhead release cables, but these still need to be painted. The NeOmega seat differs quite a bit from the picture. Guess it is an earlier mark (which is o.k. for 1982 I think considering my Soth African Mirage F1 needs a Mk.IV). As the pit is pretty dark I used a bit of "artistic license" to add some color.

all the best

Steffen
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 03:22 AM UTC

..breathe deeply now !!
trouble still with the post here too.....

& while you've been building this, Lela Presse have released Vol II of their Etendard book series...
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 02:26 AM UTC
Hi gang

here is the latest picture ... could have used some more of the clamps .... will be fixed with filler and sanding

all the best

Steffen
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 02:41 AM UTC
Looking good Steffan.
The cockpit looks great, very busy looking.
Did you need to put any weight in the nose, or is the resin cockpit enough.
Andy
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 02:46 AM UTC
Thank you , Andy!

Well I tried with thumb and middle finger in the wheel bays and it already tipped over to the front. Still I added some lead shot with PVA glue in the nose .. hope that will be enough,else I'll have a problem.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 01:25 AM UTC
Hi all

this it what it looks without all the clamps:

i already sanded most of the seams and also did a bit of rescribing (e.g. intake area to the wing). I had to use some filler on the nose and will probably need a bit or on the wings and stern.

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hi all

well, as i just posted in the campaign thread (Marseillaise) I am fiddling the Super Etendard every day: a lot to sand and fit and rescribe and fill and sand and rescribe and sand .. did I mention that a lot of sanding is involved. Just to document the progress a bit and as the weather just improved significantly:

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 12:35 AM UTC
After lots of sanding and polishing ad cleaning panel lines i decided that i must shoot a layer of primer on to find the imperfections. I spared the front area for the moment as i first want to get the rear fuselage nice and shiny to install the flaps (I fear that I might having problems reaching certain areas of the modell once these are mounted). You can see I already did some touch ups ...

... but it is comming together .. very slowly ...

all the best

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 01:40 AM UTC
Hi Steffen,

It seems that there are no model kis of French subjects for which some heavy sanding isn't necessary...

"Bon courage" for the rest of the build!

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 - 08:20 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Da hilft auch aller Mut nicht ....

Well, some might have read it in the Marseillaise thread, but here it is again.

After lots all the work and waiting and on/off the project I am finally close to shoot on some color. When fixing the last parts I could not find part number 6 that must be something for the nose refuelling probe. Think it broke off the sprue and is lost in time and space .....

Do not knwo what to do now. I posted a request on HS and do repeat it here, but I guess nobody will have such a part as a spare ... but ok here it comes:

Has anyone this part left over from a bad project or can make a copy of it or at least can take some pix of that darn thing so I can maybe (if that is possible) scratch build it?

Many thanks in advance!!!

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 08:54 PM UTC
O.k. gang

i am proceding, but somehow this has become a hate project. Every time i think: "well, now it is only downhill til the finish line" occurs a new problem

all the best

Steffen
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 11:20 PM UTC
Sorry to hear that steffen. Have you asked Airfix for the part they've always been good to me. Can take a while to get it though.
Usually sent free of charge too.
or ask/beg on
http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/forum136.php
Worth a try esp if it is getting frustrating.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 12:17 AM UTC
Thanks JP, both for the hint and your sympathy!

but I just have it with this kit. I glued in a piece of plastic and will fill the bits still open with some putty. I only want to get it finished, no further waiting or stuff ... I do not care if it will be ruined, it just has to go off the desk...

greets

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP