_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Best 1/48 Black Hawk Kit?
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 10:04 PM UTC
Could someone please tell me which 1/48 Black Hawk kit they feel is the best? I've found a photo of an Egyptian air force Black Hawk, I couldn't figure out how to post it here but it's sand colored all over, without roundels but with the Egyptian flag at the front of the tail boom, and I thought it would make a nice subject for a model. According to Wiki, the UH-60L is the version they use.
I've never bought photo-etch before, although I've used the photo-etch that comes with the kits I buy; I was thinking about trying to add some to this kit, since it's so small and won't be hung from my ceiling but will end up on a shelf. Is there a set I could try that is easy to use, and won't require the use of any tools I don't have?
Thanks for the advice guys.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Egyptian_Air_Force_UH-60_Blackhawk.JPG
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 11:52 PM UTC
The best Blackhawk kits in 1/48th are the Academy/Minicraft ones. They have decent interior and exterior details and go together well. No idea on PE for them, but try Eduard, they probably have one.

Here is your pic for others to see.

You just need to place it between the image tags: [ i m g] [ / i m g] (but without spaces).
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 11:57 PM UTC
Thanks a lot! Nice Black Hawk isn't it? I've never seen an Egyptian Black Hawk before.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 12:08 AM UTC
Looks pretty good. The gunners' windows on the sides look a little different though. They don't look to have the center posts of the two sliding windows.

Here is the Academy/Minicraft kit.

And a review of it. Not a very good review, but it gives you an idea. The reviewer is incorrect in the following statements:

"First of all, you really can't build a UH-60L as the kit does not include the larger horizontal stabilizer of that version!"

The square, folding stabilator is not a UH-60L feature, but an MH-60L feature. So the kit is correct.

"This version has the larger exhaust shrouds on it so I guess that you can't do an A model from the kit as most UH-60As I've seen don't have this large assembly; just regular, open exhaust."

The HIRSS exhaust is not an identifying feature of aircraft type. HIRSS was retrofitted to standard A models with open exhaust as well.

jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 03:42 AM UTC
Yes, this looks like my best bet, the UH-60L is the one I need. I can get it from Hobbylinc for 32.00 including shipping, that's probably the best price I'm going to find. Luckily I even have some Egyptian decals, from an Academy Fishbed I built a couple months ago. I really like helis, I find them interesting, but I've heard they don't sell well.
Thatguy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 04:19 AM UTC
According to Greg Goebel's article, they're actually S-70A-21s, which are to a UH-60L standard, but have the different forward windows, among other things, as has already been noted. All US Army UH-60 types should have the split forward windows. S-70B types omit this widow entirely.
eerie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
AeroScale: 106 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 06:59 AM UTC
Academy stop producing 1/48 blackhawks. I still have one in my stash but the box is old,,,brown old. Bought it for a jayhawk project.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 08:11 AM UTC
Great Models still shows them available under the Minicraft label.
 _GOTOTOP