Japanese 1/72 aircraft recommendations
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 07:10 AM UTC
Hi
I'm looking in the future to build some models of IJN carrier aircraft in 1/72. Can anyone recommend some good kits to buy? I'm looking for ones with recessed panel lines, wheel wells etc, that will look nice built out of the box.

thanks
Mike
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 09:46 AM UTC
I'm afraid all I have to show is IJA aircraft. But they are in 1/72 scale. That is the scale I work in primarily.

The Tony, Nick and the Frank are all Hasegawa and are reasonably priced kits with nice detail in my opinion. The Dinah is an LS kit, an older kit with not as much detail but reasonably priced. I hope you enjoy looking and maybe seeing the kits will help you decide. I hope so. Thanks for looking. Russell

Nick

Tony

Dinah

Frank
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 10:00 AM UTC
I do have several IJN aircraft in 1/72 scale I can recommend although they are not built as of yet. Tamiya puts out a great George, very nice and for about 20 American dollars. Fujimi puts out a nice Judy, for about 20 American dollars as well. Also I have a Shinden, that crazy design with the canards outs front and wings out back so to speak. It has a six bladed, I believe, pusher propeller. That retails around 17 American dollars when I got it. I can recommend all of them as they are reasonably priced and are good looking kits. Just some additional info hope this helps you out some. Russell
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 10:21 AM UTC
I keep making posts, because I keep forgetting things. Take a look at the link below. J aircraft is a great resource for information on Japanese aircraft, whether they be Army Air Force, or Navy. Hope you enjoy it. Russell

http://www.j-aircraft.com/
bzak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 264 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 02:25 PM UTC
Howdy,

Hasegawa has a nice series of A6M Zeroes and Kates for carrier use. Fujimi had a series of carrier fighters as well, Val, Grace and Jill. As mentioned, check out j-aircraft model section.

Brian James Riedel
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 12:18 PM UTC
Well I've got a couple of kits ordered. I'm going to try a Hobby Boss A6M5 as I've made other Hobby Boss kits and actually enjoyed making them! For the money they aren't bad at all. Also I have a Fujimi D4Y2 on the way - I love that dive bomber! Potentially one of the best dive bombers of the war. I'm tempted by the 'Grace' too, another great looking plane that never had a chance to show what an awesome machine it was! Nice looking IJA planes btw.

thanks
Mike
 _GOTOTOP