_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
How do I fix this blister in the resin
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 09:50 AM UTC
Hi all!
I'm a newbie to resin. When opening my IPMS Austria kit of the Saab J 29 Tunnan, I found this:

Does anybody know how I can fix this!?!?

Cheers // PolarBear
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 10:32 AM UTC
is it hollow. like a big air bubble was trapped?

Fill it with some liquid CA a little at time perhaps. Just a suggestion. Or contact the manufacturer for a replacement perhaps.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 10:42 AM UTC
Hi Björn

I'd either do as JP suggests, and carefully fill it with CA - or, cut the bubble away and build up the area with "supafiller" ( a mix of CA and talcum powder). The benefit over straight CA is that it doesn't dry harder than the resin. It sets really quickly and sands beautifully.

All the best

Rowan
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 08:53 PM UTC
First hold it under a source of heat (table lamp should do.) If it goes soft, ignore what follows, because it won't work. If it stays hard, drill a small hole where the bubble meets solid resin (extreme right in your lower picture would be best,) keeping it on the sharpest point of the l/e. The hole needs to be just big enough to allow a piece of thin wire (plus a little space) to pass through. Mix up some epoxy resin glue (as slow-acting as possible-24 hrs type is best,,) then leave it for about 15 minutes, to "gas off," (Epoxy resin produces a gas, which many people mistake for air bubbles.) Heat the part up, again, as much as your fingertips can stand (!!!) hold it as in your lower photo, but with the hole highest, then lift a small blob of the glue, with the wire, and introduce it into the hole. The heat will turn the (usually) thick glue to a watery consistency, and it will run down into the void. Continue with more blobs, until you can see that the hole is full, then leave it under the heat, still with the hole uppermost (one of those "extra hands" tools is ideal for this,) to allow any more gas to escape, and, depending on the temperature, the resin will quickly cure, giving you a solid base to do any retouching that might still be necessary. At 80C, epoxy resin will usually cure in about half an hour, but do ensure that you allow it to cool before working on it, not only to save your fingers, but also to ensure that the resin is hard.
Edgar
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 12:28 AM UTC
Thanks guys! I'll try the last method! If it works, you'll see a beautiful Saab Tunnan later this fall!

Cheers! // PolarBear
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 04:44 AM UTC
I would try to inject putty

I think that your pharmacy might be able to help you with the equipment
 _GOTOTOP