_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Revell vs Tamyia 1/48 fighters
chuckster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 04:49 PM UTC
I notices you can buy 1/48 scale WWII fighters from Revelle for about $16 in a LHS, or Tamyia for roughly twice that price. Tamyia has the better name, but are they that much better than the Revelle?
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 05:10 PM UTC
There are exceptions, but for the most part yes.
BoarHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 07:04 PM UTC
There is no point of comparison between the two... The doubled price is very worth if you are serious modeller. I wouldn't change ten Revell models for 1 tamiya. Tamiya rules, its clear!

(++) B H (++)
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 10:01 PM UTC
In HK they are roughly the same price, but the thing is I had hard time to find revell kits, I'd like to do some Revell stuff, their stuffs are not bad. If I had a choice, I take Hasegawa or Revell over anything Tamiya, in my opinion, Tamiya is over-rated. They never did too may odd subjects, and the assembly is imaging-less. I like a little challenge, so I perfer other kits over tamiya. Same thing as tanks, I take a DML one anyday over a Tamiya one. Said all these, one thing is for sure, Tamiya's quality is good.
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 01:29 AM UTC
I agree with dave, tamiya quality is way better OOB than revell, to make a revell kit look as good a hase or tamiya requires alot of work, mainly in my experience the work consists of filling gaps,panel lines that arent consistant, some very sharp, others need rescribing, nothing really big, just takes more work to get the same look as the tamiya has OOB. but thats what I like about modeling, improving what comes in the box. now as far as details cockpits etc... revell is right there with if not better than tamiya and hasegawa. IMHO

Bender
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 12:57 AM UTC
Some revell models are very good : they are hasegawa models reboxed at a very low price !
the hurricane Mk2C for exemple...
one of the stukas also...

some revell models are ex-trimaster so they should be excellent too !

some revell models are very old models, not so good...
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 08:08 AM UTC
Hi everyone

Just to add my "two penny worth"...

Some Revell kits are as good as the best, and Tamiya can screw up just as well as anyone (remember the first issue Meteors?). Tamiya parts usually fit beautifully, but I found BAD sink-mark problems on their Bf109E.

Sometimes the scribing is a bit OTT on Tamiya - limited run kits often put them to shame...

The two things that really count against Revell (in Europe, at least) are the instructions and the decals (ugghh!).

The two things that count against Tamiya (lately) are the price and the price (ouch!!)!

As ever, you pays yer money and you you takes yer choice!

All the best

Rowan
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 03:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There is no point of comparison between the two... The doubled price is very worth if you are serious modeller. I wouldn't change ten Revell models for 1 tamiya. Tamiya rules, its clear!

B H

I totally agree with Boarhead. I love Tamiya planes #:-)

(++)
 _GOTOTOP