_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
BoB: Campaign entry finished.
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 04:15 AM UTC
Seeing as I won't have to time to do any more work on it before the deadline I'm going to call it finished. I just ran out of time on it and actually messed up the weathering trying to rush a bit. Some bits just didn't get done. I didn't have time to do an antenna wire, so I left off the mast on purpose (looks dumb with a mast and no antenna). The post shading mix wasn't thin enough so it looks a little heavy handed to me.

Anyway, here is my first German plane ever. Bf109 E-1 'Yellow 11' as flown by Fw. Artur Beese.

The pics are in an MSN folder :http://groups.msn.com/DerSonntagBund/twistedfatescampaignmodels.msnw?Page=Last in case the pics don't show for you.

SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 04:40 AM UTC
Hey Tim Tim, other things considered (the antenna), this looked wonderful, nice testimony of your superb plane skill, good job.

WeWillHold
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 04:46 AM UTC
Since "Da Slimer" dude refuses to post to my armor pics, I refuse to compliment him on this outstanding 109 shown in this thread;)

Great effort her Tim---I'm not a plane guy, but I do know when I see solid construction and an effective paint job---Congrats!

Steve
scoccia
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 04:54 AM UTC
Gosh, this site is terrible... surfing around I'm starting to like planes too!!! It's incredible. Nice work TwistedFate even if I prefer your tanks "interpretation".
Ciao
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just ran out of time on it and actually messed up the weathering trying to rush a bit. Some bits just didn't get done. I didn't have time to do an antenna wire, so I left off the mast on purpose (looks dumb with a mast and no antenna). The post shading mix wasn't thin enough so it looks a little heavy handed to me.

Can't wait to get good enough so my SNAFU's look like that. Very nice.
Savage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
AeroScale: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 06:00 AM UTC
Tim

It looks great to me rushed job and all.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 06:23 AM UTC
:-) Very good Tim, congrats on finishing. You just gotta love them yellow noses on 109s, as if they are pointing the way to the next target, when they have been splashed I'm sure I've seen photos of this bird, certainly one with the griffon, force landed in Kent. Where all 109s finish up
One thing Tim, what colour is the spinner and prop blades?
What is your base made out of?
Mal
Marty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 06:27 AM UTC
Excellent work. I am not an airplane buy but this is inpressive.
Puma112
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
AeroScale: 44 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 06:30 AM UTC
Outstanding!

Torque
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 07:17 AM UTC
It may have been a "rush job" but it looks fantastic to me. Congrats
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 07:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm sure I've seen photos of this bird, certainly one with the griffon, force landed in Kent. Where all 109s finish up
One thing Tim, what colour is the spinner and prop blades?
What is your base made out of?
Mal

Look close, SS-74's 109 is wearing the same Griffin. I don't know where it ulitmately ended up, but this one was forced down on a sand dune near Calais and broke it's back.

The spinner and prop are black. I was never able to determine for sure if they were supposed to be black or RLM70. I forget why I went with black, but I did even though I'm pretty sure now it should have been RLM70.

The base is a square of wood I painted black then sprayed some of that Faux Stone that comes in a spray can so it would look like tarmac. It's not necessarily historically accurate, but I can't do grassa nd I'm sure that plane was parked on tarmac sometime in it's life. I don't display my models on bases usually so it will have to do double duty as a base for some of my modern AC when I need it , which is why it is significantly larger than this plane.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 06:45 AM UTC
Hi Tim

That's a really lovely job - there's just "something" about '109s with yellow noses... very tasty! :-)

You're probably right about the prop - but apparently late in the war some unusual colours were used for the blades - dull blue for instance...

That's a neat idea for the tarmac - don't be surprised if you see it in one of my pics one day!
:-)

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 07:09 AM UTC
:-) Just getting this to the top of the board, with the others. Where it belongs :-)
Mal
TankCarl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 01:01 PM UTC
Well done,TF.
It is better to stop short,and not rush and ruin something,than to race a deadline,and have mistakes you gotta look at.This way,you have a fine aircraft that the repair crew just hasnt gotten around to working on yet. (++) (++) (++) (++) (++) (++)
Plasticbattle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 01:07 PM UTC
Nice one twisted. Dont know much about birds but, to me it loks the part. I like the grimey finish......... beats a bright pink finish anyday!!! #:-)
 _GOTOTOP