_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
no paint,no filler OOB campaign proposal
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 02:41 AM UTC
ok i may get shot down in flames over this one...

as the title says no paint , no filler , straight out of the box , no extras(except rigging).

any scale,model,age etc

its more of a , see how good we can put a model together without hiding the mistakes with paint , campaign.

anyone interested?

paul
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 03:19 AM UTC
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 03:36 AM UTC
Really , you mean no stress , no use of foul language with in a ear shot ! Making no changes of any kind ! Have you gone mad !

I'm in , sounds like it would be rather fun and relaxing
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 04:37 AM UTC
Hi Paul

I suggested something kind of along these lines a few years back - a Vintage Kit build. Again, building exactly as the instructions dictated: so, no mods or aftermarket stuff, getting as close to the original recommended paints as possible, and using modern decals only if the old ones had totally deteriorated.

As Terri says here, the aim was to for everyone to really let their hair down in a no-stress build that's purely for fun.

I have to say, though, some people thought that not trying to bring the old kits up to date would just be a waste (and I can see their point - although I wasn't suggesting that we build them deliberately badly. Just the opposite in fact, but forgetting all the usual angst about refs and things). I can imagine "no paint, no filler" might meet with a similar reaction.

I have actually considered running "no paint, no filler" Reviews, to really show how well (or not) a kit goes together. Of course, we could always go one further and have no glue too!

All the best

Rowan
GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 05:19 AM UTC
There was a magazine at one time (Military Aircraft/Model Preview) that had no filler/paint reviews. The magazine was quite popular until they shut down with no warning.

Some people with little/no stash will think of something like this as a waste. Those of us with large/huge stashes from decades would have no trouble coming up with a sacrificial kit (I have an AIrfix Sea Hawk that would qualify as not worth the trouble to fill/paint/correct).

Although there is no filler to be used, does that mean we use saws, knives, files, and sandpaper to get things to fit or does it mean we just glue it together?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 05:49 AM UTC
Hi Gary

Yes, I got a couple of issues of that magazine about 15 or so years ago (it wasn't widely available in the UK), and it was very much the inspiration for doing some similar reviews myself. I think I must have ditched them at some point, because I haven't come across them while packing up to move home. Sad to hear that it closed down - it was a novel idea that I never saw repeated in other magazines.

All the best

Rowan
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There was a magazine at one time (Military Aircraft/Model Preview) that had no filler/paint reviews. The magazine was quite popular until they shut down with no warning.

Some people with little/no stash will think of something like this as a waste. Those of us with large/huge stashes from decades would have no trouble coming up with a sacrificial kit (I have an AIrfix Sea Hawk that would qualify as not worth the trouble to fill/paint/correct).

Although there is no filler to be used, does that mean we use saws, knives, files, and sandpaper to get things to fit or does it mean we just glue it together?

hi,

no cutting but i've no issues with sandpaper,files etc but remember the more you sand the more it will show up......

for those thinking that it will be a waste of a kit........apart from the cockpit,the rest can be sprayed/painted after the campaign is over,so its not a total waste of a kit.

paul

ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 07:14 AM UTC
i have a 1/72 Minicraft/Hasegawa P-47D razorback I'd be willing to try for this one, its missing its cowl and decals so it'd be perfect for such a campaign!

Count me in, can we call it "The Naked Plastic Campaign"?
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 07:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"no paint, no filler"

Done it already, with my HobbyBoss F-16D Fighting Falcon review, and I must admit its nice to just build a model without having to worry about colours, reference material or filling anything.

I have a few kits that I could do for this campaign.
Andy
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 09:09 AM UTC
Hmmm. As earlier mentioned I have two Artiplast 1:50 Reggiane falcos, but I haven't dared start working on them yet, since dihedral is anhedral, gaps are pressfits and pressfits are gaps. They suck big elephant balls really. But if this capaign would show up after I built one, I would do the other one (or rather, the rest of the parts) here, just to tell myself how bad the material was .

Tony
 _GOTOTOP