_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Hurricane Mk I finished. BfB campaign
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 06:11 AM UTC
Had a real rush to get this finished on time but have managed it. As others in the campaign have reported rushing as ment that not everything has gone as I had hoped. However, even if this is not my best effort I have really enjoyed this campaign. It has brought out some outstanding talent, but more than that the determination to finish has been above and beyond the call of duty. Take a look at the threads running through the campiagn file and you will see that alot of gremlins reared their heads during this last 10 weeks. Bytepilot and vlady are to be particularly congratulated because they both had to scratch build items, at the death to have a chance of finishing. Porky nearly lost an arm but only needed his left to finish off his excellant Hurricane fodder
Here's my Hurricane Mk I flown by Squadron leader Ian Gleed of 87 Squadron RAF.

So what do you think, is she ready to take on all those 109s?
Mal
Puma112
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
AeroScale: 44 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 06:19 AM UTC
Nice job, Love the weathering.

brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 06:20 AM UTC
Wow, another good un Mal. Man there are some awsome entries in this campaign. Is the canopy the one from the kit or a vacform?
scoccia
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 06:23 AM UTC
Great work Mal. It looks better than a real one...
Bravo!!!
Ciao
vlady
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 534 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 06:27 AM UTC
great job mal. now when i see all this great planes i don't even know why i joined the campaing. i feel frustrated. well, now that you are back home can u please send me that instruction sheet for the Mistel 2 pls?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 07:18 AM UTC
:-) Thanks guys.
BDUK

Quoted Text

Man there are some awsome entries in this campaign. Is the canopy the one from the kit or a vacform?

Yep there are some good models, everyone seems to have enjoyed themselves, even with all the gremlins. Modelling skills have been learnt and satisfaction gained. :-) just what it's all about.
The canopy is the one from the kit :-)

Vlad

Quoted Text

now when i see all this great planes i don't even know why i joined the campaing. i feel frustrated. well, now that you are back home can u please send me that instruction sheet for the Mistel 2 pls?

You don't have to feel frustrated, the game is to learn, we all start somewhere. Your Spitfire is fine and we do need more British entries, to help see of all those 109s. Don't give up on it, it's part of the learning curve.
Unfortunately I haven't had time (with finishing my Hurri) to even copy the instructions, sorry. I am away for at least 3 days next week, my first job is in Salisbury. When I get back I will try and remember to copy them then. Maybe we can do a group build :-)
Mal
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 07:37 AM UTC
Excellent Hurri, Mal. Looks ready to fly.
sweatydogz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 114 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 09:38 AM UTC
Excellent model Mal, I love the paint chips on the end of the nose. :-) :-)
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 10:41 AM UTC
Great!! I love the paint and weathering. Well done. Cheers
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 10:43 AM UTC
Great stuff Mal. The panel line shading looks 'just right' in my opinion. Like the weathering and the display as well.
TUNA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 449 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 11:00 AM UTC
Awsome Job Mal, love the weathering!!

Plasticbattle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 11:54 AM UTC
Nice one Holdfast. I love the weathering and chips. It looks the part of a fighter that has seen some action. The camo work looks excellent. I love the colours. What are these 2 greens used?
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 05:53 PM UTC
Hi Mal,

As usual, a gooorgeous job !! The weathering on your Hurri is absolutely superb.

And thanks for the words of praise. Yes, I did want to make a good job of my Bf-110, since it was my first Luftwaffe job in any scale. I faced a lot of flak from my family since I was paying too much attention to this model(it has been the most intense one I have been involved with so far) and not studying for my CQA exam in September. I have promised my wife that I won't be doing any modelling till Sept 13th after this !!!!

And BTW, I even went and scratchbuilt a second, better rear canopy for my Bf110, since I felt that the first one did not live up to my expectations. Still have a very small way to go, but I'm sure I should have it finished by tonight. This campaign has really tested my limits to make a better model, and I would like to end it on a blazing, successful note :-) !!! Thanks everybody for your cooperation and feedback, and here's to making even better models in the future...

Cheers,
BP.
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 10:43 PM UTC

Really Great work , this Hurry I , looks so real I like Your wheathering method

Regards
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 06:13 AM UTC
Hi Mal

Your Hurricane is just as fantastic as I always knew she would be!! :-) Beautiful job on the weathering and paint-chipping. The label (can't think of a better word) on the base is really nicely desgned - I'm glad I didn't glue my scrappy effort down - I'll have to sort out something a bit better now I've seen just how good a PROPER job can look!

I'm not sure about me '109 being Hurricane fodder... Herr Galland is looking at your Hurricane and deciding where the 20mm cannon holes would look nicest...

Brilliant job on both the kit and organizing the campaign... it's been the most fun I've had modelling in ages!!

All the best

Rowan
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 09:07 AM UTC
Mal,

Gorgeous work. Looks excellent. I didn't get mine done, but you are to be commended. Very, very nice work.

Scott
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 06:50 AM UTC
:-) Sweatydogz

Quoted Text

Excellent model Mal, I love the paint chips on the end of the nose.

Done with an artist silver pencil, very easy and quite convincing :-)

:-) Bryan

Quoted Text

Great stuff Mal. The panel line shading looks 'just right' in my opinion. Like the weathering and the display as well.

I had wanted to add a figure, Martin had sent me a set of 3. I was hoping to do a dio but just not enough time. The single figure, the pilot, would have required modifying but would have added to the idea of the display. Not many people realise that in the speach, by Winston Churchill, "the few" also referes to the limited No of aircraft available for the battle.

:-) Plasticbattle

Quoted Text

Nice one Holdfast. I love the weathering and chips. It looks the part of a fighter that has seen some action. The camo work looks excellent. I love the colours. What are these 2 greens used?

Thanks, this aircraft survived (that's why all those 109s don't scare me) and went on to become a night fighter.
2 Greens? I guess you are refering to the Dark Green uppersurface camo and the under surface Sky type S. Sky began to appear from mid August 1940. Introduced from 6 June, Lack of stocks of the correct shade led to variations in the actual colour and shade. From Duck Egg Green (Eau-de-Nil), to a rich Duck Egg Blue (Sky Blue) :-)

:-) PB

Quoted Text

This campaign has really tested my limits to make a better model, and I would like to end it on a blazing, successful note !!! Thanks everybody for your cooperation and feedback, and here's to making even better models in the future...

Here, here. Nice one PB

:-) Rowan

Quoted Text

Your Hurricane is just as fantastic as I always knew she would be!! Beautiful job on the weathering and paint-chipping. The label (can't think of a better word) on the base is really nicely desgned - I'm glad I didn't glue my scrappy effort down - I'll have to sort out something a bit better now I've seen just how good a PROPER job can look!

Thanks, about as good as your 109 then. I was actually quite pleased how the label turned out. I fitted a piece of plastic sheet into the corner and painted it RAF Azure Blue. The writing was done on over head projector, printable acetate. I then cut it to shape and used a couple of redundent decals. I didn't glue it on either, so I can use the same base for future presentations. The grass is "static grass" and works well. I air brushed it with acrylics, in several differant shades of green, then dry brushed with yellow. I had intended to include some daises, buttercups and dandylions but time was against me. I would like to hear others opinions about the base element of this campaign?

Quoted Text

Brilliant job on both the kit and organizing the campaign... it's been the most fun I've had modelling in ages!!

Thanks again Rowan, I also had fun and this was the quickest I have ever built a model. It was a bit traumatic at times, mostly because, as the campaign leader , there was no way I could allow myself to fail. Interestingly even the wife didn't nag me once about doing the DIY I was soupposed to be doing during the time frame of the campaign. Result :-) I would urge everyone to get involved in the campaigns. I would like to thank all those involved in this one for the way they have helped me out by encouraging partisipants and helping others in my absence

:-) Scott

Quoted Text

Gorgeous work. Looks excellent. I didn't get mine done, but you are to be commended. Very, very nice work.

Thanks Scott, it is a pity that you weren't able to finish and the same for others in the same boat. Better luck next time. Maybe next year we can do another BfB campaign, but this time you have to model the other side (and we should ban 109s )

Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 07:25 AM UTC
Nice one Mal!

There's been such a good buzz about your campaign, you should feel justly proud! :-) I'll definitely be up for a "Round 2" where everyone has to change sides! I agree about Bf109s, so I promise NEVER to build another '109 'till the next one! :-) How's that?

Funny you should mention daisies - I thought about adding them, but remembered my '109 was set in August... I'll have to listen to Gardeners' Question Time to see if daisies flower that late in the year... (who says modellers are sad )!

For me, having to make a base added a really good, refreshing element to the project. It was great practice too... because I had to look at my references in a new light. How does anyone else feel...?

No wonder your plaque (sounds nicer than "label"!) blew mine into next week (month? year?) - cheers for showing what can be done if you've got the talent...

One last point Mal - how do you manage to put multiple quotes in a post? I did ask in the Site forum, but no reply as yet...

All the best

Rowan
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 07:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

how do you manage to put multiple quotes in a post? I did ask in the Site forum, but no reply as yet...

Either use the quote button just above the smilies or type QUOTE in brackets [ ] at the beginning and /QUOTE in brackets [ ] at the end of your quote.
ArmouredSprue
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
AeroScale: 116 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 08:04 AM UTC
Hi Mal,
Another great bird man, you always make my day....
I loved the strap on the machineguns openings, great stuff.
Cheers
HastyP
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 08:10 AM UTC
LOve that Huricane!

The weathering and detailing is fine. Love the writing on the plaque edge.

Regards
HastyP
 _GOTOTOP