_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
1/32 F/A-18 : decaled and weather ready
badpony
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 12:06 PM UTC
here's the latest shots. Rather than using Academy's colorful sheet, I chose to model VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet's CAG bird as she was fall of 1990 in Operation Desert Shield. I used SuperScale's #32-104 sheet, and Academy's stencils. I found a picture of the plane in Squadron's Hornet in Action showing a mixture of low viz stencils with hi-viz unit markings. At the time of the pictures, the windscreen and canopy are being test-fitted and I still have to attach the flaps and slats. Next up is weathering, landing gear and underwing stores.

enjoy
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 12:09 PM UTC
Dang that thing is huge!! Looks great, pony. Only complaint I have isn't your fault. The decals on the vertical stabs are a little thin, the black paint darkens them pretty bad in some areas. It's most notable under the red portions.
badpony
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 12:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dang that thing is huge!! Looks great, pony. Only complaint I have isn't your fault. The decals on the vertical stabs are a little thin, the black paint darkens them pretty bad in some areas. It's most notable under the red portions.

yeah, I saw that when I applied the decals. It made me wonder if CAM's sheet of the same markings would of turned out better.
Torque
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 02:36 PM UTC
I see it too but really not much of a distraction overall, unless you're specifically looking for that particular fault.
MAD_DUCK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 434 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 05:13 PM UTC
DUDE!!!!! I'm building the same plane now!!!!!!!!!, But I did use the CAM decals, they didn't blead through, BUT it took alot of solvet to get them to lay down,and I still had to touch them up a bit. The main decal problem I had was the lighter grey data seem to blend into the paint. But could be my fault since I had to mix my own Lt Ghost Grey, I picked up the wrong bottle again!!!!!!!!!!!! ERRRRRRRRRRRR!

Vince
" what was is was and what is is is and is is whats happening now"
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 04:41 PM UTC
Gorgeous dude, we need you to do a build up article for us!!!

What kind of ordinance you gonna hang on that bad boy?

Scott
uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 86 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 05:30 PM UTC
Very nice, I didn't notice the bleed through on the red until it was pointed out. Though it doesn't detract from the overall look IMHO. I have this kit also and I want to start on it so baaaad #:-) But not yet, I have not decided in what markings to use as yet, and all the research involved to get the correct data. Besides I will do an AMS on this one for sure.
Though not my nature. Just like to build them with some research involved for some accuracy and my satisfaction for me. Saw those birds in Lemoore brings back memories.
Cannot wait to see it completed...

Fly Navy!
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 07:28 PM UTC

What a BIG Bug !!!! I like to watch for such a great work - where You have a space for those collection ? My is only 1:72 .

Very good Job
Vodnik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
AeroScale: 78 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 10:02 PM UTC
Oh, come on Artur! badpony lives in the States - they usually have "slightly" bigger appartments and houses there than we have here in Poland

Some time ago I made a decision to move from 1/72 to 1/48 scale for my airplane models and considering that my armor scale always was 1/35, I'm really getting low on display space now. But I must buy this Academy Bug! Even if'll need to keep it on a balcony. Oh, wait... I don't have a balcony...

Rgds,
Pawel
badpony
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gorgeous dude, we need you to do a build up article for us!!!

What kind of ordinance you gonna hang on that bad boy?

Scott

I'll have to try that article thing, never done one before.

ordinance is going to be fleet defense. Since Desert Shield wasn't the full on campaign, I figure that the Hornets would of been protecting the fleet. I have another one of these kits that I'll do in low-viz ground attack markings for an Op Enduring Freedom or Op Iraqi Freedom bird.

uscusn: Lemoore is about 2 hours south of me, so sometimes if the time is right, I can see them fly overhead :-)

tomcat: I haven't really figured out where I'm going to put this big bird. I'm mostly a 1/48 scale guy. I have this big one and a 1/32 Tomcat to figure out where to put them. Between my school books and my other models, parking is unfortunately tight.
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 09:53 PM UTC
Looking great so far. As stated before the decal bleed isn't really that noticable until pointed out. Can't wait to see this Hornet with it's stingers hanging off it. Keep up the great work.
Paul
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 03:52 PM UTC
Wow, that looks awsome. Keep us posted on the progress.....
 _GOTOTOP