_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: What If?
For those who like to build hypothetical or alternate history versions of planes.
Any Truth To This Rumor?
dklein
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 04:36 PM UTC
I recently read a Japanese modeler’s blog who seems to be in touch with the on-goings of the modeling industry in Japan. He seems to hint that Trumpeter’s Japanese distributor could go out of business because of massive overstock and lack of orders.

Has anyone heard anything about this?? With Faller (Trumpeter’s German distributor) also declaring bankruptcy, I wonder if Trumpeter itself is having problems and if their previously announced items will ever see the light of day. I hope so, but I might hold off on pre-ordering Trumpeter items until this gets sorted out.

Dave
russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
AeroScale: 375 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 05:24 PM UTC
It seems, at least of late, that most of what Trumpeter produces is made by another company either at the same time or shortly thereafter and that Trumpeter's products always fall short in the accuracy department. This has got to be hurting sales. I hope it isn't true, but if they are in trouble, they would have to look at themselves and what they have produced.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 08:06 PM UTC
Well, the Faller insolvency has nothing to do with their distribution, so nothing with Trumpeter. it is just operating in a shinking market with huge financial commitments from the past. I still hope they find a way out of this situation and manage their way back into full business. The insolvency administrator has some plans that go in this direction. For the moment it is business as usual for the customers of Faller even if some competitors that want the distribution rights for some of the brands heavily work against them.

If there is a problem with Trumpeter I personally believe it is with Stevens Intl.(mainly) who pushed the prices (seemingly on a world wide basis) of the Trumpeter products to a horrendous level. Trumpy products were very well priced here until Stevens got the distribution for northern America and instantly raised the prices ...

this all is just the tip of the iceberg. The hobby industry has to suffer pretty much from the economic crisis. We'll have to wait who will survive ...

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 08:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... I might hold off on pre-ordering Trumpeter items until this gets sorted out. Dave

Hi David

There should be no reason not to pre-order Trumpeter products, any more than items from another manufacturer. Any reputable mail order company will only charge you once the item is ready to ship.

All the best

Rowan
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 - 09:00 AM UTC
I personally love the Trump Kits. Even the ones with the metal hinges (Throw out the hinges, and the kits are great.) The new kits promised for future release have gotten my attention. The prices are keeping me from buying as many as I would like. I really think they are going to price themselves out of the market.
 _GOTOTOP