_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
NEWS
1:32 Tamiya Spitfire Mk. IX
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 09:17 PM UTC
Hot news over at HLJ could be a dream come true for Spitfire fans - a brand new largescale Mk. IX from Tamiya, set for a November release. Choosing what to ask for this Christmas just got a lot more interesting!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 09:28 PM UTC
Hmm, could be a bummer for Eduard ... see Vladimirs recent newsletter ....

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 09:40 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

Yes, if the report is correct, it looks like Tamiya's kit is at a much more advanced stage than Eduard's. Of course, Mal will always say "You can never have too many Spitfires!"

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 10:04 PM UTC
BTW there is a lot of more interesting news at HLJ

Tamiya will finally release a Hummer separately (1/48 - sadly the cargo version), 48 scale F-22 from Hasegawa plus a lot more ....

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 10:13 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

You just saved me posting the next News items! I can get back to packing and clearing my flat.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 10:21 PM UTC
Hmm, shall i apologize or do you have to thank me?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 11:38 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

Well, the novelty of rediscovering long-lost kits in the Stash has long since worn off, and it's now just a long slog going through old junk! But thanks to you are in order, because it's got to be done...

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 - 08:58 AM UTC
Hi again

Actually, Vladimir's article is very exciting in the light of Tamiya's announcement:

"... it will be a Mk.IX. Actually, it will be several versions of the Mk.IX. As most of you will know, the Mk.IX lineage is somewhat complicated, with an early, mid and late version, differing in Fuselage details, wings, and tails. In all likelihood, we won’t delve into the very first versions of the Mk.IX, and we are preparing two distinct fuselages covering two major distinctions within the engine cowl area. Wings will be both standard and clipped, for wing versions C and E. From that you can deduce what will be covered in our line of Spits. This will be followed by the Mk.XVI and VIII,..."

I imagine Eduard will be watching what Tamiya have on show in Tokyo very closely(!) and will adjust their release schedule accordingly. It looks like Spitfire fans have a really exciting time ahead!

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 - 09:04 AM UTC
To quote Marcus Nicholls (does that name ring a bell, Rowan ....):

Quoted Text

Folks,
This new Spitfire looks like it will be rather special - and yes, as the editor of Tamiya Magazine, one might say "you would say that", but I really do think it looks nice. It has an amazing looking Merlin engine with .4mm thick cowlings with parts for early and late types, rounded and clipped wings, rounded and pointed rudder, early/late wheels and decent size sheet of PE, plus a ton of other features. I can't post any pics yet, but will do as soon as I can.
I can't wait to get started!
Cheers,
Marcus
TMMI

I am not sure Eduard can do much better than big T ...

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 - 09:17 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Whatever happens, it looks like we're in for a treat! And it's not always a question of "bettter", so much as different. Tamiya haven't always very good at exploitiing their releases, leaving plenty of scope for other producers to work around them. (Please, Tamiya, wake up and produce produce some more Wildcat variants! )

Of coures, the real mystery is why it's taken until now for a mainstream Mk. IX to appear in this scale...

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 - 09:49 AM UTC
Hi Rowan

Well, I just thought that Tamiya has pretty much the same package I expect from Eduard and that our Czech friends goof up things too was just shown by their 109.

I do not want to stir things here and a variety is always good for the modeller, but IMO Eduard should focus on other things. (I like to see the 1/48 MiG-21 series finally among other things).
They will probably have a look at the Tamiya kit first before they decide what to do .. maybe there is money for two Spit IX kits (actually 3 with the PCM/MPM), but as it is 32nd scale, how may of those will be bought compared to 1/48 or even 1/72 and Tamiya will be definitely first on the market with a mainstream kit ...

just my two Euro cent

all the best

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 - 10:47 AM UTC
Hi all,

First images are already leaking...

This is interesting too: 1:48 scale U.S. Navy WWII figures...

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 - 07:52 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Mmmm - it does look rather tasty.

You're right, the 1:48 figures do look interesting. The detail is superb! (I just hope this isn't only a photo of larger-scale prototypes...)

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 - 08:03 PM UTC
Yeah .. looks great.

I am really looking forward to the HLJ podcast from that show .. Scott and Brian are just too funny

BTW it seem Tamiya-San was not kidding at Nuremberg ... quite a few news (for Tamiya)

cheers

Steffen
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
AeroScale: 135 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 03:33 AM UTC
A Spitfire MkIX in 1/32 is great news indeed but I would also like to see a Mk V with b and c wings.

And being the picky buyer that I am I will be waiting until both kits have been released before buying one. Unless the sale price is just too good to pass up.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 04:07 AM UTC
Well you just can't have too many Spitfires Wonderful news, I'd read that Eduard were doing a MK IX but I hadn't heard about Tamiya doing one. I hope that Eduard might now do a V or 1 or better still both. I hope that this also leads to plenty of Hurricanes in this scale as well. I suppose it's just too much to ask for a Westland Whirlwind in 1/32
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 04:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I suppose it's just too much to ask for a Westland Whirlwind in 1/32

Hi Mal

From "Tamigawa" - probably. But the MPM group did the masters (with Cooper Details resin parts) for the Classic Airframes 1:48 version, so they might be well placed to tackle one. I'd snap one up if the price was reasonable

All the best

Rowan
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 05:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well you just can't have too many Spitfires Wonderful news, I'd read that Eduard were doing a MK IX but I hadn't heard about Tamiya doing one. I hope that Eduard might now do a V or 1 or better still both.

I wouldn't mind Eduard doing a mk.IX at all, in 1:48 scale. As IIRC, with the numerous kits around, the definitive one hasn't been released yet, each having their quirks.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 07:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wouldn't mind Eduard doing a mk.IX at all, in 1:48 scale. As IIRC, with the numerous kits around, the definitive one hasn't been released yet, each having their quirks.

Yep, I agree with this as well

Having thought about this I can see Eduards Mk IX being cheaper than Tamiya's, plus it will have colour PE for the instrument panel, which could make a big difference. What ever happens I'll be buying one or the other, probably both

Interestingly (for me anyway) I have just prepared a set of masks in 1/24 for Jonnie Johnson's Mk IX. They are to send to SAMI as they ran a review on the Heritage Aviation Mk IX upgrade for the Airfix 1/24 Mk V with a negative comment about the lack of decals and I just want to remind everyone of the, obvious, alternative. Then some of the guys in IPMS KitMaker brought back pics of the Airfix 1/24 Mossie from the model show in the RE museum (I couldn't make it this year), so I'm sending in masks for that beast as well. Now it would be down right wrong of me not to send in masks for a 1/32 scale Mk IX as well wouldn't it?

Don't forget me when your thinking of the scheme for your Tamiya or Eduard Mk IX Members of this site get a discount
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I suppose it's just too much to ask for a Westland Whirlwind in 1/32

From "Tamigawa" - probably. But the MPM group did the masters (with Cooper Details resin parts) for the Classic Airframes 1:48 version, so they might be well placed to tackle one. I'd snap one up if the price was reasonable

I'd be happy for a good, reasonably-priced, one in 1/72- item 310166433280 just ended for the Pavla one- at over £30!

As for the Spit IX, I might be interested if it looked good value for money- would have to convert it into a PR one though!
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 08:22 PM UTC
Check it out:

All pictures are from Hyperscale.com from the following page:
http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/reviews/kits/tamiyaspitfireixpreviewbg_1.htm

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 08:35 PM UTC
Hi Michal

Thanks for the clearer versions of the early test shot photos. It's both exciting and frustating, isn't it - I've been trying to get up-to-date pics and info of the final product, but Tamiya (so far) have been keeping it firmly under wraps. Still, not long to go to the Tokyo show where all will be revealed. Watch out on HLJ for a video report.

All the best

Rowan
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 08:46 PM UTC
No problem Rowan, but thank Brett Green - he managed to get them somehow, I just pasted them here...
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 09:14 PM UTC
Hi again

I think Brett's hit the same brick wall I have in getting new pics. Tamiya don't seem to be leaking anything prior to the show.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP