_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Loerzer's DVII *Stripes in the sky campaign*
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 09:34 PM UTC
Hi

A venture into 1/48th for me, I dragged 3 DVII's out the stash.....one half badly built.....one being detailed.......and this which was supposedly a *quick* build for the stripes campaign. Quick..lol

Anyway although she isnt quite done yet heres a few pics for your perusal, I had a few alignment issues, self inflicted of course. I still have to add a few parts, control horns, cables rad cap and more, touch up laquer and weather her in.

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 11:03 PM UTC
Hello Keith

very nice model!! much better that what i did (or could do) with my Roden kit. I especially like the damage as in the picture of that bird! I have a question about the rigging. You did that at the tail (something I missed) but you did not do in the u/c. Did this Fokker have nothing there ? ... I am still a novice to WW1 so please forgive me asking dumb questions ...

al the best

Steffen
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 11:51 PM UTC
Steffan Hi

I'm glad you pointed that out, I had missed it, though I do have to recoat the U/C legs yet amongst the things to do

Thanks for your comments, they are very encouraging.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 02:01 AM UTC
Keith,

Very nice. I like the tarpover the cockpit, too. How did you make it if you don't mind me asking?

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 02:05 AM UTC
Keith , I really don't know what to say , but it looks like you got your mojo back in your builds once more .

Very well done so far Keith , the damage to the top wing is cool and having the tarp over the cockpit really adds to that effect .

Looking forward to the final touches now ......................................
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 03:39 AM UTC
Thanks Guys....and Terri,

comments are really well appreciated, the tarp idea came from looking at the pic of the real A/C I imagined it the day after or so, guns removed and awaiting repair outside, Having just superdaetailed a DVii cockpit I had no fancy to repeat it just yet.

Mark, the tarp is Tissue from packing, the quality varies this was nice smooth strong tissue though. I cut it to size, worked it into place to check it was how I wanted.Then I removed it coated it with Klear thinly and let it dry. After that it was placed something like I wanted it upon the kit, softened with a PVA water mix and gently eased into shape and place, adhering it to the kit with PVA as I went. Left it to dry for a few hours once it was close to how I wanted it. After that it was a matter of another coat of PVA which softened it but didnt lift it so the creases could be better defined and left it to dry overnight and painted it the next day.

with effort it can give excellent results I think.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 03:00 PM UTC
It looks more like the Eduard kit. But at any rate don't forget the prop boss and the aileron cables too. I really like the battle damage based on a photo of Loerzer's damaged D.VII. Lozenge looks like Microsculpt. Nicely done. don't worry about alignment problems here. this machine evidently took a wheel in the wing or some such mishap. If the top wing was damaged, there is no telling what the droop to the lower wing would be.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 07:27 PM UTC
It is the Eduard offering Steven, and Microsculpt too, thanks for the get out clause for the alignment issues too

I know theres a few things to sort out still, hopefully this week I'll find time
 _GOTOTOP