_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Screaming Chickens
nosewrit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 01:32 AM UTC
So, was the screaming chicken motif used on any SPAD XIIIs with the multi-colored camo? I've seen it on the beige SPAD VIIs and early SPAD XIIIs. I've found one profile on the internet with the aforementioned fowl on a solid green XIII with light grey undersides - this seems suspect as I've never seen this simple green & grey scheme for a SPAD before.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 09:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So, was the screaming chicken motif used on any SPAD XIIIs with the multi-colored camo? I've seen it on the beige SPAD VIIs and early SPAD XIIIs. I've found one profile on the internet with the aforementioned fowl on a solid green XIII with light grey undersides - this seems suspect as I've never seen this simple green & grey scheme for a SPAD before.

Definately suspect. When Armand de Turenne left Esc. SPA 48 to command Esc.12 in about May 1918 he used this as his personal emblem. That is the aircraft you are mentioning. His aircraft was an early Spad XIII. It was overall "Ecru" or a dirty cream colour. Metal panels were the same but a little darker in tone.

Point of fact was that yes the "Crowing Cock" was used on camouflaged Spad XIII of Esc. SPA 48.

The most prolific writer on French schemes, French units and their members is Jon Guttman.
nosewrit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 06:25 AM UTC
Thanks for the information! I've yet to find a profile, but I know MUCH more about WWI French aviation as a result of having your info as a starting point.

Matt
 _GOTOTOP