_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
I picked up a zero a6m5c
tazz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 06:29 AM UTC
i picked up the tamiya model the zero it was only 12 bucks.
kit number 61027 . what a nice kit the detail is realy good on this model
i cant waite to build it
uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 07:18 PM UTC
For it's age yes it is!. It does build to a nice Zero. I've built one myself a couple of years ago.
You won't be disappointed. However it's true scale is 1/50th scale though the box says 1/48th.

Fly Navy!
Jeepney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 05:58 PM UTC
I picked up the Academy 1/72 A6M5C. Paint guides are provided for a green upper lightgray lower scheme. Can I paint it overall white with a black cowl? I like that scheme better.

Thanks!
Bus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 04:10 AM UTC
it is a great kit, I build it as a hidroplane.Price is fair!
MEBM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,055 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 05:27 AM UTC
I did that model a couple of months ago. It's a really good build, at least from my experience.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 03:15 AM UTC
:-) Hi tazz, I have the same kit in my stash, it is very nice. I believe there is a group build/campaign arranged to start in the new year for Japanese subjects. I'm saving mine for that
Mal
uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I picked up the Academy 1/72 A6M5C. Paint guides are provided for a green upper lightgray lower scheme. Can I paint it overall white with a black cowl? I like that scheme better.

Thanks!

Actually it's a light Aircraft Grey called IJN Grey, available through Gunze, Model Master and
xtra Colour. It's not a white. But a different color has come to light recently with references stating a more of a pale grey/tan color almost like RAF Sky. I have yet to try this color on a Imperial Japanese Navy aircraft as yet. You can check the Japanese Aircraft site for references.

Chuck
Fly Navy
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 09:06 AM UTC
Hi there

Check out http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/imperial_japanese_navy_gray.htm for more info on Japanese grey-green. :-)

All the best

Rowan
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 11:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

:-) Hi tazz, I have the same kit in my stash, it is very nice. I believe there is a group build/campaign arranged to start in the new year for Japanese subjects. I'm saving mine for that
Mal

Crazy. After there was talk of this campaign I went and picked this model up too. It will be fun to see if I can get one even in the same ballpark of quality as Mal...probably not

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 08:54 AM UTC
:-)
Quoted Text

NTTG
Crazy. After there was talk of this campaign I went and picked this model up too. It will be fun to see if I can get one even in the same ballpark of quality as Mal...probably not

I'm sure you wont have to much trouble :-) but anyway that's what campaigns are all about, sharing techniques. Part of the idea for this campaign is, for some of us, to try extreme weathering. So we will all be learning something (:-)
Mal
Jeepney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2003 - 12:39 PM UTC
Mine is almost done. A strictly OOB quick build with lots of mistakes and booboos. I just felt the need to finish something.

I used Tamiya's JN Green and JN Gray acrylics for this one.

PS: Got mine for a bit less than 4 USD
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2003 - 03:00 PM UTC
Hi Tazz,
I am pretty sure that is the same Zero I did. If it is, the instructions have some side notes about drilling holes and putting the ingition wires for the engine along with stretching spure to make the push rods. If you are up to it I recommend doing it. It does add a nice and simple extra detailed look to the engine. That was the first extra detailing I did on a kit and if I can do it, then anyone can

Good Modeling,
Wayne
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 01:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Tazz,
I am pretty sure that is the same Zero I did. If it is, the instructions have some side notes about drilling holes and putting the ingition wires for the engine along with stretching spure to make the push rods. If you are up to it I recommend doing it. It does add a nice and simple extra detailed look to the engine. That was the first extra detailing I did on a kit and if I can do it, then anyone can

Good Modeling,
Wayne

Yes, I was surprised when I opened it up and saw that in the directions. I wonder why they don't do that in all kits? It is kind of a neat thing for those of us that aren't all that experienced.
 _GOTOTOP