_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
FEATURE
1:48 Fw 190 V-1
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 - 11:19 PM UTC

Here's a full build article by Jean-Luc Formery (TedMamere) of Legato's 1:48 scale Fw 190 V1 prototype. The kit is a "dog" but the only option if you want to build the first "Würger" in quarterscale.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 03:34 AM UTC
Beautifully done, Jean-Luc! the finished product really makes me want to tackle this kit, despite the dire warnings in your build log.
Messaschnitzel109
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 06:43 AM UTC
Thank you so much, Jean-Luc! I have the kit and was wondering how it would build up- you have done a wonderful job. My set of wings don't seem to be bad enough to replace, but we'll see when we get to it. My copy of the kit does have some annoying surface flaws (scars?), though, that look like cracked molds or something... and of course that odd combination of later production Fw190 parts and proto airframe, as you mention.

BTW< I also purchased a Bf109V13/14 racer conversion set from Floyd Werner at the IPMS-USA Nationals from your masters and am also looking forward to that beautiful conversion as well. Nice to actually have a piece of your work here in hand. The detail on the exhausts is even better than can be seen on screen, and really sold me on the kit.

You are one of my favorite modelers and I always look forward to your reviews and builds, and I save them for future reference- keep it up!
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 06:57 AM UTC
Jean-Luc,

You've turned it into a real stunner. Great work.

Mark
Tango-India-Mike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 08:02 AM UTC
That's pretty classy modelling, Jean-Luc...very nice indeed and a pleasure to see in the making. I like your vacform machine!

I'm still getting pretty good results with the simpler crash-moulding technique for canopies and handpainting, but I can identify with a lot of your construction and correction methods. Thanks for posting this because...well, for one thing it's a drop-dead gorgeous model, but secondly, it'll be a damned good pictorial reference I can make use of when I get to build my 1/72 MPM kit of this same aircraft.

There's something really quite satisfying about wringing the best out of what looks like a pretty disappointing kit. Not that I think the MPM kit I have here looks disappointing...far from it...but I haven't started to build it yet. Your photos will be a great help with me getting the best out of mine.

Really nice work, Jean-Luc

Cheers!

Tim.
Grenadier37
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 06:37 AM UTC
Excellent work Jean-Luc!

It's proof that perseverance pays off.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 06:44 AM UTC
Nice work with the new canopy and a very good result overall, it is always a special feeling to finish a kit that isn't exactly shake-and-bake!

I like the FW-190 prototype a lot since it is so different from the rest of the line, I did the MPM kit in 1/72 more than a decade ago.

Magnus
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 07:01 PM UTC
Hi all,

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you like the model.

I'm also happy that it does motivate some to actually tackle the kit. I thought it would be rather the contrary...

Jean-Luc
 _GOTOTOP