Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Thank You, Hobby Lobby
chuckster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 03:37 PM UTC
I wonder about Hobby Lobby's marketing strategy. Normally, model kits at Hobby Lobby are priced a little higher than the other hobby shops in the area. Every now and then, they have a sale on model kits of 1/3 to 1/2 off. Naturally, I browse Hobby Lobby often but wait for a sale before I buy anything. Today, I noticed they have a 1/2 off sale. Naturally, I stocked up on kits. I bought a 1/35 Tamyia Sherman for $18.50 plus tax and a pair of Tamyia 1/48 WWII fighters for $12.50 each. I am naturally elated at this policy but wonder how Hobby Lobby expects to make any money at this
crusader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 08:04 PM UTC
How long does this sale last? Last time I was there they had a couple of kits I was drooling over. (:-)
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:02 PM UTC
I haven't seen anything about this sale either, but will check it out. I don't know about their pricing or sale policy, but I remain eager to take advantage of the 1/3 - 1/2 off sales. I figure if they are selling it at that price, they must still be making something on it. It's a pretty poor businessman that sells below wholesale. #:-) #:-)

Mike

shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:47 PM UTC
Do you know it's URL?
NimitzFan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 12:26 AM UTC
Hobby Lobby

There are no coupons or mention of a sale this week, but it is a good page to check often.
ZoomieE7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 12:30 AM UTC
Chuckster, Thanks for the post. I posted the same info in the Hyperscale forum and basically got told I was "full of it" 'cause there was no announcement on HL's website or local store flyers. It wasn't on my local store's flyer, either. I just wandered in to look and saw the big "1/2 OFF" signs on the model shelves. Got 4 kits I wouldn' touch at reg prices, and I going back today!!!
Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 02:25 AM UTC
I know they were running the sale about a week ago, maybe your local store decided to extend it for some reason? I'm not sure about the policy either, but a lot of times a retailer will take a loss on something simply to get you through the door and hope that you buy something else that's not on sale; paints, brushes, glue, plaques, those cut little lace doilies, erm...well, you get the picture...
vaildog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 02:36 AM UTC
Hobby Lobby is lame, every store has the same kits. I am an armor guy, and all they stock are the old crappy Tamiya kits, No DML, No new tool Tamiya.
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 02:43 AM UTC
Vail:
Welcome to the site.
Yeah they have old kits, but you can also get the M-26 Dragon Wagon cab, I bought thenew Mobelwagon the last time they had the sale. My store also stocks the M-8 and M-20 Greyhounds in addition to some of the older kits that require a little more work.
I don't mind dropping $10 on the old Flak 88, it's $10 cheaper than buying it any place else.
tazz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 06:10 AM UTC
what is the web site for hobby lobby
keenan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 06:28 AM UTC
I'm with Porkchop. I bought DML figures, DML Nightfighting Panther, Mobelwagon from Tamiya (new tooling) a couple of weeks ago. Granted, it seems like they have the same kits at every store and they seem to always have the same kits but half price is half price...

Oh, they have a bunch of 1/35th scale helos that I bought, too.

Shaun
kbm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 678 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 07:40 AM UTC
No happiness in Houston. Just got back from a lunchtime trip to the closest HobbyLobby and no signs on the model aisles and no 30% to 50% sale. Strange that there would be this type of sale at some HL's and not others. Oh well, the selection of armor was awful anyway.
 _GOTOTOP