_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Filling/smoothing seams inside air intakes.
CCalvin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 05:21 AM UTC
Building a Revell 1:32 F15E, nasty nasty seams/gaps inside the air intakes for the engines. Need help figuring how to smooth this out with the air intakes halves glued together. I’ve searched images via Google and the intakes on a F15E are for the most part nice and smooth. I haven’t yet glued the halves together, so, if there are some prep tips to perform before I do please let me know. I figure making sure there is PLENTY of glue between the parts to sand down will probably help, I don’t see how applying putty and sanding smooth with the halves together is going to be possible, or am I wrong? How easy is it going to be to sand inside to begin with? When building a 1:32 Eagle those intakes are a nice sized window to peer through.
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 04:46 PM UTC
i did the ones on my f-18 w/ a wooden dowol and a drill with different grits of sand paper and a lot of time and some files hope this helps
HawkeyeV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
AeroScale: 129 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 02:11 AM UTC
One method is to use window glazing, the acrylic putty used to seal in glass panes into the window frame. Apply then wipe away the excess with a damp Q-Tip. Once that has had a day to cure, use some white acrylic interior house paint, pour or dip it so everything is covered. Let drip dry, using a paper towel to blot up any excess build up to prevent pooling. Much like one does when dipping canopies in Future. The white latex paint will provide a thicker coating that fills many imperfections.

The other option, resin seamless intakes from one of the various resources.
 _GOTOTOP