_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
operation jericho mosquito
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 01:46 PM UTC
hi there guys im planning on building to mosquitos for operation jericho diorama that i was reading up on the other day
but im confused at to which type of mossie it is and which is the best kit in 1/72nd ill be doing them as taking off dio down runway or field not sure if i found that info out

can anyone help me kit wise and airfield wise??

cheers tony
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 11:36 PM UTC
ok,heres a little bit of info....

"No. 140 Wing of the 2nd Tactical Air Force, based at Hunsdon, Hertfordshire, England, was selected to carry out the raid using Mosquito FB Mk VIs. The Wing comprised 18 Mosquitos from No. 464 Squadron RAAF, No. 487 Squadron RNZAF, and No. 21 Squadron RAF, and was led by Group Captain Percy Charles Pickard, who was inexperienced in low level attacks and underwent 10 hours conversion training at Hatfield. The Mosquitos of 487 Squadron were assigned the task of bombing the prison guards' mess hall and breaching the outer prison wall in two places, while 464 Squadron's aircraft were tasked with bombing the prison's main walls if no prisoners were seen escaping."

and heres a link to some actual footage....

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=23496

paul
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 01:16 AM UTC
I think there is a Tamiya kit of the FB.VI which is very good, and there is the Hasegawa kit, equally as good as the Tamiya. There may be a Revell Germany reboxing of the Hasegawa kit (or is it the glass nose?). There is a lot of aftermarket available for both kits.

panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 04:39 AM UTC
thank you paul and gabor

this is 1 step further forward for me
are the tamiya and hasegawa kits in 1/72 or 48th? atm im contimplating which size i want to build... airfix do a mossie in 72nd scale is this a later war mossie??

cheers for the info

tony
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 02:13 PM UTC
Got to love that Mosquito! It certainly is one of the most attractive aircraft of the war produced by any side I think. I remember the book called The Shepherd, where a ghostly apparition of a Mosquito guides a wayward Vampire pilot from over the North Atlantic back home to the British Isles. I read it as a kid and have a newer copy on my shelf at home. Thanks again for the post. Russell
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 06:56 AM UTC
At Tamiya and Hasegawa both 1/72 and 1/48 Mossie kits are available. I have also always wanted one for me but these are too pricey here in Hungary besides being scarcely on stock...

_GOTOTOP