_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
battle of britain spitfire and hurricane
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 12:31 PM UTC
hi guys i have watched the battle of britain film for the fourth time this week lol and have built up an idea in my head of doing a dio scene either spitfires taking off or hurricanes doing manouvres in the skies.
i have noticed that the spitfires are the mk1's

but what are the hurricanes??

plus would i fing them both in airfix's 72nd range??

colours for spitfire n hurricanes.. what would they be? olive green etc??
can some1 help me with the colours in tamiyas please and the under belly.

i dont build aircraft much im more of a tanky but i love the british ww2 aircraft and its a change of page

cheers for all help given with this

tony
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 02:04 PM UTC
You can see if Tamiya or Hasegawa has some reasonably priced models. That would be my suggestion. Although I am a simple American I will give you my opinion, if wrong I am sure my American cousins will correct me. Ha ha

Would not the colors for the Spitfire and Hurricanes be dark earth, over dark green, with sky undersides? Just a thought to start the ball rolling. Waiting for others to chime in. Hope I am at least close to being correct. Russell
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 02:42 PM UTC
cheers for the reply russel

ive found airfix's paint list for the hurricane
and its gt dark earth and dark green and raf blue which sound like theyd be the right colours for the hurricane hopefully i can find the paint list for the spitfire maybe itll be the same

tony
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 03:41 PM UTC
Just thought I would recommend the Polly Scale line of acrylic paints or the Model Master Acryl line which are also acrylic paints. The colors mentioned in the earlier post can all be found in these two lines and they are easy to use; airbrush or brushing even. Russell
tornado64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 203 posts
AeroScale: 57 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 11:29 PM UTC
early spits are a minefield and it very much depends on modelling an individual aircraft
top colours were pretty much standard green and earth and applied in a standard paint matt masked fashion
but the minefields come with underside , prop spinner , and code number colours

some had sky colour spinners some had black etc

some had sky undersides ( a pale minty colour ) some had 1/2 and 1/2 sky / black

white / black some were sky with just one wing black don't think blue was used tillo about the vb

the hurricane could also have numerous paint versions so again best to researc a particular one

on the bonus side i notice you are in n/w uk . the battle of britain squadron are at the southport airshow this weekend i am there tommorow

if i get decent shots i will post monday

for kits airfix do both early models although other finer kits have come out later on but airfix can still be presentable

if making a take off dio i usualy use 6.mm clear acrylic rod i know model zone manchester sells it and it can also be obtained on ebay !!
tornado64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 11:44 PM UTC
someone may prove me wrong but i think i'm right in saying the hurri didn't actualy have that many changes through its life

but a mk 1 should suffice

as for paints do not limit yourself to one range or medium you find as you stock up you get a bit of evrything anyway as some are better than others for difret jobs etc

a good start though for this subject would be humbrol numbers 30 , 33 , 29 , 34 , 90 wich should work out at just over six quid if you have none already and cover your basics !!
tornado64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 11:56 PM UTC

but a mk 1 should suffice

![/quote]

edited to " will be right ! " as mk1 hurries were being used in the battle of france before we retreated to fight the battle of britain

i think later models got an armoured seat and aluminiun wings instead of canvas

but there is verry little that is noticeable in 1/72
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 01:45 AM UTC
cheers russell and paul for those replies

paul i use to work in the manchester modelzone deansgate branch great lads that work their

thank you for the information this will help me alot

tony
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 02:59 AM UTC
A few Spitfire Mk IIs were introduced during the Battle of Britain but there is little to distinguish them from a Mk I apart from the Coffman starter bulge on the nose and Rotol propeller.

The Hurricane Mk II A series, of which only a few were built, started to enter service on 4th September 1940 and the Series B did not start production until October. So it is very unlikely that you will find a Hurricane Mk II in the BoB. By the start of the BoB most fabric winged Mk Is had been withdrawn from frontline service and many had the fabric wings replaced with metal wings.

At this time RAF fighters were camouflaged in the Land Temperate Scheme of Dark Earth and Dark Green. There were two patterns, A and B, the B pattern was a mirror image of the A pattern. NB. This is not the same as changing the brown areas to green and green areas to brown. On 6th June 1940 Sky was adopted for the undersides. This was a new colour and there was a shortage of it. Other, similar, colours were sometimes substituted and well as self-mixed versions with resulted in a range of colour variations being seen. Which colours were used is often difficult to interpret from black and white photographs but there is archaeological evidence for individual aircraft that BBS 381 (1930) No1 Sky Blue and BSS 381 (1930) No 16 Eau de Nil were used.

Spinners were painted Night. Night was not a true black as it contained Carbon Black and Ultramarine pigments. It is described as a very dark grey or gunmetal colour. The Ultramarine was added to make the paint more durable, a harder finish, not to alter the colour. Matt paint made solely from Carbon Black pigment polished very easily and became shiny which made it unsuitable as an anti-searchlight finish that Night was originally developed as.

Sky spinners and fuselage bands were not introduced until 27th November 1940 after the BoB was over.
tornado64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 03:43 AM UTC

Sky spinners and fuselage bands were not introduced until 27th November 1940 after the BoB was over.
[/quote]

cheers just noticed the ref pic i looked at was winter 40
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 08:33 PM UTC
Hi Guys,just as an addendum,if you buy the special edition of the film there`s an additional DVD with the "making of" included.In which the director apologises for the lack of Hurricanes in the movie,by saying that they simply could`nt find enough of them in flyable condition to star in the movie.He does,however,admit that they did the bulk of the fighting.
tornado64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 09:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,just as an addendum,if you buy the special edition of the film there`s an additional DVD with the "making of" included.In which the director apologises for the lack of Hurricanes in the movie,by saying that they simply could`nt find enough of them in flyable condition to star in the movie.He does,however,admit that they did the bulk of the fighting.

there were no me 109's in it either they were played by spannish lookalike aircraft !!
tornado64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 09:12 PM UTC
also a rarely mentioned fact was the italians were in the battle of britain at the start ( not for long granted ) but in it none the less !! they used cr42 falco biplane fighters !!
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 11:59 PM UTC
Whilst I agree that November (1940) is stretching it more than a little bit for the BOB, it would also give you the option of the short lived Sky/Night port wing scheme. Also, from memory, the underwing roundel did not reappear on Sky undersides until August??? 1940. If noone chips in I'll check in a couple of days when I get home.
Steve
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 01:49 AM UTC
The Air Ministry ordered that all fighters should be painted Sky on the under surfaces and no under wing roundels to be carried 6th June 1940. Roundels were introduced 11th August for service aircraft and 18th August for production aircraft. At the outbreak of war the AM had ordered all aircraft flying over France to carry under wing roundels. This order still stood. Spitfires that took part in the evacuation of Dunkirk may have had roundels added during this time.
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 04:18 AM UTC
Thanks Antoni, I knew it was something like that. I guess that means that most RAF fighters did not carry underwing roundels during the summer of 1940.
Steve
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 04:51 AM UTC
There was a signal, X296, 15th May stating that roundels consisting of a red centre, surrounded by rings of white and blue of equal width were to be applied to the underside of both wings of fighter aircraft forthwith. The roundels were to be as large as possible but kept clear of the ailerons. On 4th June signal X479 stated that roundels on the underside of the port (Night) wing should be encircled with a yellow band of convent width. I guess that counts as spring. This seems to have been in response to the business in Dunkirk.
 _GOTOTOP