_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
german battle of britain
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 11:34 AM UTC
hi guys ive recently made a post about the british side of the battle of britain with the spitfire and hurricane

but now my question is for the german side of it.
i do know that the bomber was the heinkel 111 but was it the h6 or ealier models ( 1/72 i know that revell and italeri have 72nd scale versions but im just not sure whether these are the right models for battle of britain )

the meschersmitt bf 109 which model is the right one is it the E4 version ??

cheers for all help pointed to this post

tony
tornado64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 203 posts
AeroScale: 57 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 12:32 PM UTC
the me 109 would indeed be the " e " model hence bieng called emiles i think ! , g's were much later adolf gallands is a popular one as it is a nicely marked example with his kills marked from the spannish civil war as well as later kills such as the battle of britain !!

he 111 ' s should be right i think if it is the full greenhouse one at the front unlike earlier models that were more conventional
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 01:28 PM UTC
hi paul gen lol

u big fan of battle of britain??

the full greenhouse is that the 1 with the full glass front??

sorry i find it hard to learn and understanding some history ( learning difficulties)

tony
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 02:40 PM UTC
This may be of some help:
http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/battle_of_britain_aircraft.asp
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 10:31 PM UTC
cheers for the info guys

just have to get some money together now and find the kits

what colour would the heinkell be is it a dark green colour? and bage for the underneath??
or white??

and for the bf 109e its grey with a yellow nose yes?/no?

cheers for all help put forward

tony
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 - 12:03 AM UTC
The Heinkel would have a splinter scheme of RLM 70 and RLM 71 over RLM 65 undersurfaces. The first two are both dark greens and there is little contrast between them. On old black and white images it is often difficult to see that there are two colours present! The under surface colour is quite a bright pale blue. Bluer than in the fighter profile below!!
The Bf 109 is a bit trickier. The standard scheme at this time was a splinter of RLM 71 and RLM 02 again over RLM 65 undersurfaces.

71 is the dark green colour again and 02 is a grey/green colour often used as a primer. The demarcation line was very high ( above the bottom of the hood) and units were applying mottling to the sides of the fuselage to lower it. The style of this mottling and its method of application varied from unit to unit. The yellow nose was not carried by all units. It was probably made famous by the pilots of JG 26 whose number included Galland, though it was not exclusively theirs.
Have a look here

http://www.markstyling.com/wwll_s_view_header.htm

He has done some decent Bf109Es.
Best of luck
Steve

Here is a Bf109E I did a while ago. It's only my interpretation! I hope it will act as an encouragement for your efforts.

Cheers
Steve

pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 - 01:36 AM UTC
The He 111 wasn't the only bomber - there were also the Do 17 (the Z model, mostly, by then) and the Ju 88A.
tornado64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 203 posts
AeroScale: 57 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The He 111 wasn't the only bomber - there were also the Do 17 (the Z model, mostly, by then) and the Ju 88A.

do not forget the me 110 on that list

nice aircraft as well , again it comes down to modelling a specific aircraft as there were big variations on the german side too and if modelling the film rather than the reality

the film did not have a single german aircraft in it !!

the list is me 109's played by .... altered to look like me 109 s spannish hispanno aviaction HA 1112 mil buchon with mock up guns and cannon

hienkel he 111 h 16' s were played by ........ spannish casa 2 111' s

stukas were played by disguised percival proctors

in the polish sequence " repeat please !" the 3 hurricanes in the background were played by buchons as there were only 3 flying hurricanes at that time

ju 52 's were also played by the spannish version

add to this list the remote control aircraft that were destroyed 2 he 111 and stukas a r/c he 111 has one of the remote control wires dangling in a crash sequence explained away by it being one of the real aircrafts control wires

air to air filming was done from a b 25 mitchell wich was garishly decorated to aid filming formation it got nicnamed the psychadelic beast or something simmilar !!
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 - 06:00 AM UTC
Tony, you'll soon have enough information to represent the entire establishment of the Luftwaffe in 1940.
Good luck !
Cheers
Steve
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 - 07:21 AM UTC
hi guys

thank you all for the replies lol

alot of information to take in haha and use lol