_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Does anyone know the Monogram Ford Trimotor?
jantkowiak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 07:04 PM UTC
Hi. I'm doing some historical research on a model belonging to a former Naval officer who was in some of the Antarctic expeditions in the 1950s. This model is said to have been built by him while on duty (during down-time!) at that time. It appears to be the Monogram kit of the "Tin Goose" Ford Trimotor, with the ski-landing-gear and decals saying "Antarctic Expedition."

How would I find out when this kit was originally on the market? Is there anyway to document how much a kit like this would have cost back then?

Interested in anything you can tell me. Thanks!!

John A.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 01:48 AM UTC
There have been a couple of Monogram Models books released in the past few years. One was basically a memoir by Bob Reder and it had a fairly complete list of all of his company's kits from the beginning to the late 1980s. It included the scale and when the were released and re-released.

I first built the kit in the 1980s. It came with a dogsled team. This is the boxing I built back then: Monogram Heritage Edition Tri-motor

It was recently reissued (within the past few years) and was among the last model kits carried by Walmart. Monogram merged with Revell over a decade ago and now Revell owns the molds. It is currently available. Revell Tri-motor

Older boxing of the Tri-motor
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 05:59 PM UTC
Most impressive Sabot!
 _GOTOTOP