_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Eduard Camel--which parts for McLaren?
BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 05:01 PM UTC
Howdy!

I've been working on the Eduard 1/48 Camel "RFC" edition, the one with 3 markings choices: Roy Brown's, McLaren's and another I can't recall at this time. I decided to do McLaren's bird, and noticed it uses the upper wing with the large cutout.--no problem there!

What confuses me is the forward decking/cockpit opening.Two pieces are supplied in the kit--one with a symmetrical cockpit opening and one with an asymmetrical opening. The instructions only show the asymmetrical piece being fitted, presumably for all 3 markings options.

What version of the Camel uses the symmetrical cockpit piece?

Thanks for any advice!

Karl
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 05:39 PM UTC
The symeterical version is the factory standard. The aysmeterical began as an in the field modification for RNAS machines. It gave the pilot inflight access to the right hand side of the right side gun breech / receiver. I'll check the application later tonight and get back with you here.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 10:09 PM UTC
Ok were talking about Eduard 1:48 kit #8057. The following is from my original review of the kit.

download

CD version

". . .After the first attempt at creating viable drawings Eduard wisely decided to ‘Go back and try it again.’ Their second set of drawings became the basis for this kit. The detail is all that we have come to expect of Eduard’s current production standards. Suffice it to say out of a possible ‘10 ‘ I would give it a ‘9.5.’ This is a great kit! One note of frustration will be the mix up of the instruction references to parts on tree B and C. The parts map in the instructions is correct but the references with in the step by step sequence is where there is a problem. Check the trees as I reference the actual tree numbers here. . . ."

Ok that said. The instructions list the cockpit cut outs wrong (only for this kit.) asymetrical C7 = B 7 and symetrical C2 = B2. For Capt MacLaren's F2137 you need the symetrical B2. The wing cut out was ordered in about July 1918. This Camel arrived at the front 12 Aug. 1918.

For references see;
Sopwith Camel Aces of World War I by N. Franks, Osprey #52, p.59 2003
The Camel File by Sturdivant and Page, pub by Air Britain.
BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 11:59 PM UTC
Thank you very much for this information! I greatly appreciate it.

Have a good weekend!

Karl
 _GOTOTOP