_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Fly's Roland D.VI twins
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 04:07 PM UTC
Click Here.

http://www.fly814.cz/preparing_en.htm" TARGET="_blank">English

Our Aeroscale member Mikko (Callsign "Familyman") offers these comments.

Quoted Text

". . .These came to my local model shop recently. Both have the same plastic, resin and PE parts as well as lozenge decal. Only the decal sheet with national markings are different in the D.VIa and D.VIb boxes. Or at least if I got it right. I purchased only the D.VIa version, but I had a quick peek in the D.VIb box, too.

So, unfortunately, the D.VIb comes also with a resin Mercedes. The Karaya Benz Bz. IV fits in the nose - with some sanding- , but looks ridiculously oversized there

The plastic is light greenish greyish yellow in colour. The extra cooling slots Rowan scratched to his Blue Max kit are also missing in this Fly kit:

There is only one propeller, which looks like the one on the nose of the Cracow museum D.VIb. Germania perhaps? How did the Axial of the D.VIa looked like anyway? same as the Axial propellers on Fokker D.VIIs?

The rib tape detail is excessive, but might be handy, when you put on the rib tape decal, so do not sand it down completely. . .I think the Blue Max kit wins here. But nowhere else! With a good will you can see overlapped planks on the Fly kit's fuselage too. . .That's enough for me in this scale.

I paid 30 euros for my kit. Not actually cheap, but ok considering there is usable lozenge decal, PE mg jackets and a cool resin engine in the box.

Mikko

Mine are enroute as of yesterday. 31 Euros 1 each - shipping all in.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 04:15 PM UTC
Dan San Abbott weighs in here as well.

". . .Gentlemen:
The Rol.D.VI prototypes had rectangular access doors.

The Production Rol.D.VIa and D.VIb had circular access doors.

The first twenty Rol.D.VIa machines had round steel tubulor interplanes struts with wood fairings with parallel edges, D.1200/18 to D.1219/18.

All subsequent machines had wood elipitical interplane struts with sheet steel ferrules on each end.

All Rol.D.VIa machines had the 180 Ps Mercedes D.IIIaü engine with an Axial propeller.

All Rol.D.VIa aircraft were covered with four color printed fabric, dark pattern on the upper surfaces and the light pattern on the under surfaces. Some Rol.D.VIs had four color printed fabric rib tapes, tapes matched the fabric, dark on dark and light on light, however most D,VIa machines employed natural color woven linen rib tapes.

On all Rol.D.VIa and D.VIb the ailerons, elevators and rudder were not taped.

All Rol.D.VIb were equipped with the Benz BzIIIav 195 Ps engine using a Germania propeller.

The first Rol.D.VIb production order D.2212/18 to D,2261/18 were covered five color dark intermediate pattern, dark on upper surfaces and light on undersurfaces with natural woven linen rib tapes.

All production orders to Rol.D.VIb 6124/18, the fuselage and interplanes struts were shellacked and varnished. Cowlings, doors, access panels, foot step, cabane and under carriage struts and axle fairing were dark olive green.

On Production orders Rol.D.VIb, D.6125/18 to D.6149/18 and D.7500/18 to D.7549/18, the fuselages were camouflaged from the nose in, lilac, natural varnish, medium light green and prussian blue on the af fuselage and fins.Cabane, undercarriage struts and metal panels were light greenish grey.

All subsequent Rol.D.VIb aircraft were covered with five color intermediate dark pattern, with matching rib tapes, the dark pattern on top and the light pattern on the bottom.

During the speed trials in Second Fighter Competition in May and June 1918, the Rol.D.VIa with the 180 Mercedes D.IIIaü engine kept up with the BMW engined Fok.D.VIIF and the PfalzD.XV. The Rol.D.VIb was as good as the Fok.D.VIIF.

Reference: "THe Beknighted Rolands", Air Enthusiast Quarterly ,NO 2. 1976, Abbott and Grosz.
Blue skies,
Dan-San"
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 10:17 PM UTC
That is very good information!! Thank you Stephen!

I just posted my D.VIa review yesterday and I will add Dan-san's remarks to complete the picture ...

all the best

Steffen

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 03:57 PM UTC
Mine just arrived tonight after I came to work!
 _GOTOTOP