_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
F-15 E Strike Eagle recommendations
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
AeroScale: 340 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 04:41 AM UTC
I'm considering building my first modern aircraft and have narrowed my choice to the F-15E. Any recommendation on which kit to buy? I saw some good reviews for the hasegawa and revell builds. For anyone that has built either kits, is the hasegawa kit that good that it demands almost double the price? Another thing that I'm looking for is a nice selection of ordinance and detail (ie cockpit, panel details, ..) for the strike eagle. Thanks in advance,

Hermann
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 05:59 AM UTC
Definitely Revell for the F-15E in 1/48 scale.

all the best

Steffen
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 03:48 PM UTC
Hello Hermann,
I second on the Revell F-15 kit, my last two 15’s were Revell’s. I also use the Academy and Tamiya kits. Stay away…far away from the Tamiya kit, one of the worst kits ever. I never built a Hasegawa kit because of it’s price. I heard they were fine but hands down the Revell kit was better. The cockpit is very close to accurate, the only thing I did on my last two was replace the ejection seat with a resin one and decals. There are many resin, photo etch and decals sets out, do a google search “1/48th F-15” followed by what your looking for. Here are a couple links that my get you started.

F-15

F-15

F-15

F-15

Hasegawa has a few ordinance sets out, haven't used the but heard great things about them.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 04:55 PM UTC
Thanks for all the replies and wealth of info. It appears that the revell kit is the way to go, especially with the cost. The question that I now have is if the is a difference between the kit offered by revell/monogram and revell/monogram Germany?
Vodnik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
AeroScale: 78 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for all the replies and wealth of info. It appears that the revell kit is the way to go, especially with the cost. The question that I now have is if the is a difference between the kit offered by revell/monogram and revell/monogram Germany?

The box, instructions and decals are different - the plastic is the same in both kits. Only Monogram Pro-Modeler release was different, as it included more weapons.

Pawel
DonSS3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 91 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 03:17 AM UTC
For it's time (early-70s IIRC), Tamiya's F-15A was state of the art. Again, IIRC, I also believe it was the first F-15 of any version available in 1/48th. I wanted one so badly when it first came out, but I just couldn't afford it and I was trying to stick with 1/72 at the time, too.
frank1833
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 06:22 AM UTC
I understand the Revell F-15E Strike Eagle is a fine kit. I've seen many nice builds of it and the modelers just gush about it. My only concern is the lack of ordnance in it, which can be addressed with any aftermarket set out there.

I guess that's why I chose the Academy F-15E Strike Eagle "Operation Iraqi Freedom." It costs more but comes with more ordnance (something I really want to put on a Strike Eagle) and some photoetch. If I like this one I'll most likely build the Revell kit, too, for the whole "build a jet tricked out with lots of expensive AM" experience.
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 12:29 PM UTC
That's the impression that I'm getting on modern jet kits ..they are being quite stingy when it comes to the amount of ordinance that you get with the kit.
naimbrain
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 12:31 AM UTC
Any UK readers may be interested to know that at time of posting Modelzone are selling the Academy 1/48 kits @ £10 for the basic or £15 with PE and cartograf decals.
Dimitar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 126 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 02:57 AM UTC
Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but Academy OEF F-15E is an updated mold - it has some of the errors of the previous release (which is basically a F-15D with CFTs) corrected. In the OEF release you'll also get the latest updates such as Sniper XR pod and GPS antenna. Besides, the decals are very nice, covering some of the most colorful nose arts on a modern jet, like Captain America and the one with the big dragon, very similar to the one on B-24 "The Dragon and His Tail".
 _GOTOTOP