_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
JU87G-1 Stuka Cockpit
john17
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 920 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 10:50 AM UTC
Hi everyone:

I'm currently building the Academy 1/72 JU87G-1 Stuka (Rudel's plane). The instructions tell me to paint the cockpit Dark Gray, which is fine, but doesn't call out any of the colors of the knobs and levers. I searched the net for pictures but have come up empty handed. I do however have the computer game IL2 Sturmovik which has this plane model in it. I took some cockpit screenshots for reference. Now I know these games are getting more and more realistic every day, but can any of you verify if the screenshots I took show accurately displayed colors? Or do you think the game designers took a little creative license here?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

John
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:10 AM UTC
I don't know if the Il-2 depicitions are accurate, but I'm partially relying on them for the Typhoon that I'm doing. (Actually, I'm having to use the Tempest cockpit, as that's all they seem to have created so far. There are some differences, but enough similarities to be useful).

Maybe someone else will have actual pics or diagrams to post for you. Rowan, a/k/a/ "Porky," was kind enough to post a B&W, but color-coded, diagram of the instrument panel on a Typhoon for me. Good luck.
john17
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:12 AM UTC
Thanks for the help Part timer. Perhaps I'll have to ask the favor of Porky.

John
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:26 AM UTC
Hi Guys... :-)

Cheers for the kind mention Part Timer :-)

I'm already on the case... but I have to say I can't remember any colour references at the moment.

Does the RAF Museum have a website with pics? - they've got a Ju87 at Hendon. If you've got a copy of The Battle of Britain feature film, that a/c was used for the Ju87 cockpit shots...

In the meantime, those screenshots look plausible: Basic colour RLM 66 with red and yellow details. What I may be able to do is match the controls to standard RLM colour coding if it helps.

It'll have to be tomorrow though, 'cause it's gone midnight here and I've got work in the morning! I'll post when I've got something, if no-one comes up with anything definitive by then...

All the best

Rowan
john17
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:53 AM UTC
Rowan:

Thanks a ton! It's great to be able to come on here and get help from some great fellow modelers! Thanks again.

John
Siggi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 90 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 12:32 PM UTC
I'm happy to confirm that the cockpits for Il2 and FB are 100% accurate. All research is meticulous at the insistence of the Developer, Oleg Maddox, and double-checked accordingly.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 07:50 AM UTC
:-) Yes I believe the colours to be spot on. I do have some cockpit pictures somewhere, I will try and dig them out and post them here. Remind me if I forget :-)
Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 09:05 AM UTC
Hi John

I'm glad Siggi has been able to vouch for the IL2 models, because I've drawn a blank!

I haven't got any colour refereces in my "collection", I couldn't find any web-links to walk-arounds (all tried were dead!), and a tour of London bookshops this P.M. proved fruitless... How's that for useless on a scale of 1 to 10??

All I've got is a few poor quality B&W shots - it's actually been a shock how hard it's been to find references for such a famous aicraft!!

I'll let you know if I find anything, but don't hold your breathe...

Sorry

Rowan
john17
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 11:00 AM UTC
Hey all:

Thanks for all the bird dogging you've done. Even if it hit a dead end Rowan, it's nice to know that you guys went to the trouble. I think I'll rely on the screenshots I took. Heck, in 1/72 scale, after the canopy is on, you probably won't even be able to see half the stuff. LOL. By the way, the kit is going together like a real gem. Beautiful engineering. I added the wings and ailerons today. I'll post pics shortly. Thanks again guys.

John
john17
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 11:47 AM UTC
Well, here are a couple pics of the cockpit. Now be gentle, this is not only one of my first aircraft models, but it's also my first time working with 1/72 scale. Like I mentioned before, it is a beaut of a kit! Now hopefully the painting and decaling will go as smoothly as the assembly.

Let me know what you think!

John
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 12:07 PM UTC
Hi John. What a great job you've done there. It always amazes me the detail you guys manage to paint into the cockpits of 1/72nd scale aircraft. Congratulations on a superb piece of work.
Martin
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 07:59 AM UTC
:-) Wow, looking good I found the pics but unfortunately they are of the B and D models. However from the looks of it you were right to go with the screen shots :-)
I have started Hasegawa's 1/48 Ju 87G-1, I will also be doing Rudels aircraft :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP