_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Mr. Surfacer
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 10:03 AM UTC
I have been applying tamiya gray putty to seams and have some success removing excess with nail polish and Qtips. I am going to try mr surfacer as it seems easier to work with on gaps ect, what I am looking for is getting a smoother surface with less work, the tamiya putty is rather thick to work with...so is mr surfacer going to work well with the nail polish Qtip method?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 10:14 AM UTC
I don't use Tamiya grey putty all that often but I do use squadrons green and white putty as well as Mr.Surface . Nail polish remover will not work all that well . Use pure acetone or lacquer thinner with the tamiya putty . Mark ( guitarlutte 101 ) used this method in the Pfalz D.IIIa dual build . He has pic's posted showing the process .

Mr surface is lacquer based so it should work with it as well . I have also tried Valloje White putty with Tamiya thinner with good results . and a lot easier on the lungs
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 11:44 AM UTC
so mr surface is better for small gaps and the putty for larger gaps? right? I have been using nail polish remover based on info from another forum thread..guess I could do better, I will have alook at pics you mentioned,thanks.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 12:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

so mr surface is better for small gaps and the putty for larger gaps? right? I have been using nail polish remover based on info from another forum thread..guess I could do better, I will have alook at pics you mentioned,thanks.

correct.

and for improved health, use isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol instead of nail polish remover with mr. surfacer (or any lacquer based filler). way less harmful fumes and it is a lot cheaper too.
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 01:42 PM UTC
good info, thank you, toxins do concern me
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 09:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am always struggling wityh those '(èé'('ç! gaps in those §(è!"'(§àé&è seams.

You should read a thread here called "reading the seams". Its the best explanation on how to fight those pesky seams i have ever seen.

I don't have good experience with mr. sufacer, it seems to me that it is only suitable for scratches, "gaps" need something else.

Terri, what is the difference between squadron green and white putty?

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 11:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...what is the difference between squadron green and white putty?

Hi Drabslab

I think the white stuff is finer textured.

All the best

Rowan
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 09:20 AM UTC
I have just read the reading the seams article.thanks he is dealing with a very poor quality model? huge gaps but I guess that makes for a good tutorial, I am going to buy some Mr. surfacer and "build it up" on the small seams/gaps as I have seen some do in other threads and try some valloje white putty as it seems easier to smooth out..thanks to all, what a great hobby.
 _GOTOTOP