_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
NEWS
Pheon Models October 2009 News
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 02:29 AM UTC
Well, I though someone of the WW1 buffs would post this, but maybe all of you receive it and think everyone does ... but it maybe is also intersting for others too ... sooo:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PHEON MODELS October 2009 Newsletter

72004 & 48005 Jasta 40 Under Degelow
Finally, this set is now available. Originally I'd intended to have this ready for July, but when printed we found two errors which meant that the whole production run had to be scrapped - very frustrating, not to mention expensive! All is well now, though and as always with these things, lessons have been learned for the future. As some of you will know, as soon as the relevant kits appear from Wingnut Wings, this set - or certainly most of it, will be redesigned for production in 1/32nd scale.

72005 & 48006 SE5a Aces in France, Hispano & Viper-engined variants.
Getting back on track with our program of releases, these are now almost ready to send out. Pre-order customers will receive Paypal requests shortly.

32009 SE5a Viper-engined Variants.
Also nearly ready. These are intended for the Roden kit (and if a conversion appears for the Wingnut kit in due course). Also included with this set are the short-lived dumbbell markings for 56 Squadron's `B' Flight, as worn on their Hispano powered aircraft included in set 32003; this will allow McCudden and Rhys David's machines to be modelled as they probably appeared in the famous Voss fight of 23rd September 1917.
With all theses SE5 sets, the original black and white chequers shown in the pre-release profile for `Grid' Caldwell's aircraft, have been changed to blue and white. The poor lighting in photographs of Omaka's replica lead us down the black and white route initially. I'm very grateful to James Fahey of Wellington, New Zealand, for sending photographs which showed the aircraft in its `true colours'!

As we have considerably increased production of these SE5 sets, I've reduced the prices to reflect this from £15.50 (32nd scale) and £17.50 (48th) to 13.50 each for these A4 sheets and the 72nd scale set is reduced from £12.75 to £11.50 (our lowest price yet). I'm particularly pleased to be able to do this, as it makes value comparison with prices for mass produced sheets much more favourable. I hope sales will benefit as a result. Pause for rousing cheers.....

48004 & 72003 Sopwith Triplanes
When we announced these sets some months ago, the initial response was slow. However, I'm very pleased to say that pre-orders have picked up sufficiently for us to place them into low volume production. They should be with us before the end of October. I've managed to shoe-horn 31 different schemes onto the sheet for 28 individual aircraft. Some very attractive schemes are included for the RNAS as well as a couple for the French Naval Air Service and the RFC's only `Tripe', for a truly comprehensive treatment of this iconic aeroplane.

32008, 48007 & 72006 SPAD VIIs of the RFC & Belgian Aeronautique Militaire
Originally announced some time ago, surprisingly, they have so far not attracted much in the way of pre-orders. I hope that this newsletter will prompt more of our customers to consider them - if enough interest is forthcoming, they will be produced as soon as possible.

48001 & 72001 Sopwith Pups
The first runs of both of these are now all sold but the sheet has been re-designed to include a further three subjects and is being printed as a `Second Edition' in 1/48th scale, which should be available this month. Those of you who purchased the original sheet will be able to get a small set to cover the three new markings (no cockades or rudder stripes, however) free of charge with your next order. I'll try to ensure that these go out automatically to the right customers but it would be helpful if you could prompt me with a message when you pay the next Paypal request for pre-orders or place a new order.
72001 will also be produced in the revised format in the coming months. Pre-orders for both of these are being accepted now for those who missed them the first time around and with the imminent arrival of Aeroclub's new injection moulded 48th Pup kit, we expect sales of this to continue unabated. For those of you who read my initial statement of intent, when Pheon was launched back in February, you will recall that I stated it was our intention to keep sets `in production' where possible. I hope this second edition programme will reassure you that we intend to keep our word and the provision of a free update for original purchasers for the sheet demonstrates, I hope, the high regard in which we hold all our customers - but particularly those who supported this first effort!
When the new Wingnut Wings Pup arrives this sheet will be re-designed in 1/32nd scale (or as much of it as possible and appropriate when the kit's marking choices are known). This will also possibly trigger new decals for some of the flamboyant training machines.

48010 & 72007 Macchi M.5
This colourful sheet is, I think, one of the best pieces of work we've produced so far but like the Lafayette SPAD VII set, it contains ten colours, so is expensive to produce, particularly as it is being done in such small numbers.

We hope to have this available as a November release. I can also say that we have been cooperating with Freightdog Models
(http://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/) in producing decals, artwork and other items for the new Blue Max kit of the M5, which should be released in the next few months. Many of the decals in the 48th scale set have been specifically designed to fit this new kit. I had originally hoped that the Fly kit would provide a suitable `canvass', but the front of the fuselage requires some work as it is too shallow for much of the artwork to fit correctly. This is not impossible to correct however and time permitting I intend to attempt this improvement and a number of others - I have two of the kits waiting!

Bristol F2b Fighters
Coverage will continue in 32nd scale and be extended with additional options in 48th and 72nd. This will see the delayed arrival of the Nightfighter/Palestine sets and the Post War subjects. The first of these should appear in December.

48009 Sopwith Dolphin
The more observant may have noticed a missing number in our 48th scale sequence, this is it!
Sopwith's only operational stationary-engined fighter will be covered in 48th scale only (at this stage). The only freely available kit is the Blue Max limited production one - still available from Freightdog Models (see above) and featuring in many a WWI modeller's `hoard'. This kit is crying out for the coverage that it will get in this limited production set. All the major operational squadrons will feature in the twelve options covered - including a rare Nightfighter trials aircraft. Details will be revealed to the rest of the world shortly but as existing customers, you heard it here first!
Open for pre-orders now at an expected price of £17.50. We are assuming fairly low demand and therefore low volume production but if we are pleasantly surprised, that final price could come down.

Future projects
I'm aware that we could be rightly accused of an undue bias towards the Allied side in our catalogue so far. Prepare for this to be redressed! The following are all at various stages of development and we can't yet give any estimated production dates or even the order in which they will appear. There will be other subjects, which may interrupt this from time to time. Not least of which will be those prompted by the release of the next batch of Wingnut Wings kits - JGII Fokker DVIIs anyone?

Jasta 5
The first sets for the much-anticipated Jasta 5 project will be finalised soon. We will be producing decals to cover the whole WWI life of this important unit. The first set will cover the early history including use of Fokker Eindekers, Halberstadts and Albatros D.I and IIs. Whilst we don't anticipate a great demand for these and production will therefore be limited, the fact that they are only likely to use black and white in their design will mean that they should not be too expensive.
The second set, to be produced at the same time (we hope...), will move into the `Green-Tailed' era with coverage of the Albatros DIII in as many schemes as we can squeeze onto the sheet. Some will no doubt level criticism at us for covering some schemes already produced by model manufacturers; we make no apology for this, as it is our intention to provide as comprehensive coverage as possible in a single-source for these extravagant markings. It is hoped that we will be able to include pre-cut paint masks for the red/green tails as a preferable means of producing these markings to decals. Research into sourcing these is on-going.

Austro-Hungarian Phoenix Fighters
Our first foray into the markings of the Dual Monarchy is in the planning stages now. Expect this to be a comprehensive set and to appear early next year.

Jasta Boelcke
Whether this appears as a single volume or two, very much depends on how the design process develops. I'll keep you informed in the newsletter as this goes forward.

Schutzstaffeln & Schlachtstaffeln
Now that we have the prospect of injection-moulded, 48th scale kits of the two principle Halberstadt Cl types (from Mirage for the Cl. II and Karaya's first injection moulded plastic kit for the Cl. IV), it is high time that this neglected branch of the Luftstreitkrafte came in for the `Pheon treatment'. These two machines will be covered (together with some others, including DFW CV's) in the first set. When we see provision of a new Hannover Cl.III kit (soon please), coverage will of course be extended.

Nieuports and SPAD XIIIs
A vast area for future decal production, the first of our sets to feature these important machines will appear in the New Year. All the various users will eventually receive attention but for the sake of domestic harmony (and the promotion of good relations with our neighbours) France will come first!

The Website
What website? A good question well put! Various things have got in the way of this project, although I'm advised by the development contractor (my wife!) that it is getting closer.........

Content, Availability and Prices Updates
All the publicly announced sets are included in the on-line list to be found here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34793 with links to the other threads on this forum which contain images of the options and decal sheets.

Scale Model World (UK IPMS Nationals) Telford 7th and 8th November
We were fortunate to be able to secure a small stand (well, a 6ft table!) at this important event and we will have stocks of all our current sets there. We will be found in the far right corner of Hall 1, stand number 156 (assuming things don't change). About as far from the entrance as it is possible to be but at least we will be there!
If the myriad attractions en route to our stand haven't siphoned all the money from your wallets on the hike to find us, we'd be very happy to see any of our customers there and if the coffers are empty by then, no matter, we'd love to see you for a chat!! Of course you could always start with us and work your way back......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I will buy a few of those (Jasta 2 and 5 .. .yummi)

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 10:06 AM UTC
Hi there

I'd love to see their stuff at Telford, but I've managed to move even further away from the show than I was before! The Tripes and Pups sound great fun, but it's a shame they'll wait for the Wingnuts Pup before tackling some of the fantastic trainer schemes - my little 1:48 Eduard kit has been ready and waiting for years! Let's hope they scale them down.

All the best

Rowan
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 07:36 AM UTC
Thanks for the update: I too plan on the Jasta 5 series.

Regards
Mark
 _GOTOTOP