Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Great Loss in Wyoming
uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 05:31 PM UTC
An He-111 (CASA 2.111) crashed in Cheyenne. The twin engine bomber was enroute to an airshow when it developed engine problems. As the HE-111 tried to land, the airplane lost control and crashed. The pilot & copilot we're killed. May God rest their souls. The pilot had done an excellent job in getting his aircraft to the airport instead of crashing in a neighborhood. Great loss. I saw this very plane at the very last airshow at MCAS El
Toro, Ca., even then it blew a tire upon landing.

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAEFAQIZHD.html

Taps, Taps
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 07:42 PM UTC

May the lord bless them.

~Chip
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 08:18 PM UTC

Take Care Them in The AIR
waterboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 09:25 PM UTC
From What I've read this A.M. this was the last HE-111 still Flying. It belonged to the CAF Flying out of Midland Texas. God rest their souls
Sarge59
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nord, France
KitMaker: 95 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 11:21 PM UTC
Very sad indeed,

may they rest in peace in heaven
mongo_mel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,580 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 11:28 PM UTC
I was driving home from work one day and was just a block away from my house when I saw this bird flying overhead. Got so excited I almost ran off the road.
A sad end for this plane and for the crew as well.
But it makes me think...if these guys were in the plane, they must have been there due to their love of these old warbirds. Not many of us will get the chance to spend the last few hours of our lives doing something that we love as much as I'm assuming these two guys must have loved flying this plane.
This reminds me of a guy in my model club. A large group of us had spent the day at a model show in Sharon, Pennsylvania. For the first time in a long time Joel had brought a model to the show and he won first place in his catagory. Afterwards, we all went to a local bar/restaurant for a couple of hours more fun. It's something of a tradition after this show. All in all, a great day for us all. I found out the next day that Joel had died in his sleep that night. I'd heard that he had a lot of medical problems all his life and I suppose it all finally caught up with him.
I think Joel was a lucky man to get to go out after having such a great day and I can only hope that when my time comes, I'll get to enjoy myself as much as he did.
And I'm guessing as much as those crewmen did too.
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 11:48 PM UTC
Very sad to hear. I hope their families are well. But to think of the lose of life is stagering, no matter what we think of the last flying HE111, there will be more, there are others in restoration. I wish their souls well. STUG
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 01:28 AM UTC
I covered a visit of this plane to east Tennessee back in 2000 for a local newspaper and talked with some of the crew at that time. God rest those in this accident, and their families and colleagues.

I remember most of all, the willingness of those folks to answer endless questions and the delight they took in talking about their bird.
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
AeroScale: 217 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 01:38 AM UTC
thats so sad..........God help thier souls.........when I opened this thread up I thought it would be another "can't finish BoB" post.
keenan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 01:48 AM UTC
This really is a shame. I have a gut feeling that even if there was a chance for these guys to bail out they never would have if they thought there was any chance at all of bringing the plane in intact. May they rest in peace...

Link to the story on the CAF website is below.

Shaun

http://www.confederateairforce.org/news/2003/nr-03-0710.html

tazz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 06:05 AM UTC
wow thats sad.... i wonder if that HE-111 WAS FROM TEAXS CONFEDERATE AIR FORCE..
I so sorry for theploits and there famillys
keenan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 06:21 AM UTC
Here is the plane...
It was from the Arizona CAF.

Shaun

Marty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 06:47 AM UTC
What a tragic story. I wish they could have escaped unharmed. I guess when it is your time to go there is not a darn thing you can do about that. Judging from the picture this must have been one awesome plane.
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 07:39 AM UTC
Found the article I wrote on the CASA and the CAF B-17G, back in 2000, for the Kingsport Times-News

Date Published: August 28, 2000
Confederate Air Force B-17 visiting Tri-Cities
BLOUNTVILLE — Gregory Peck and Steve McQueen swung up into her nose during their film careers. American pilots yelled ‘‘12 o’clock high’’ in her intercoms and radios as German fighters swept in from ahead and above firing massed cannon and machine guns.

And spectators at Tri-Cities Regional Airport got to see one of the few Boeing B-17 Flying Fortresses in the world fly a low pass along the runway before cranking out her landing gear and flaps for a late Monday afternoon landing.

‘‘Sentimental Journey,’’ a 1944-production Fortress, will be at TCRA through Friday morning as part of the Confederate Air Force’s annual tour of vintage military aircraft across the United States.

Bearing Betty Grable’s likeness on both sides of her nose, ‘‘Sentimental Journey’’ started life as one of several hundred Douglas Aircraft-built B-17Gs. Never seeing service before the end of World War II, she was converted to an air-sea rescue craft and later into a mother ship for radio-controlled B-17s.

By 1960, ‘‘Sentimental Journey’’ found herself finally used as a bomber — dropping chemicals on forest fires. In 1978, she was donated to the Confederate Air Force’s Arizona Wing and was restored to authentic flying condition by 1986.

Col. Mel Tiensvold — all Confederate Air Force members are colonels — said Arizona Wing members typically take two-week shifts flying ‘‘Sentimental Journey’’ along her U.S. tour route from May through October.

‘‘It’s terrible, but someone has to do it,’’ Tiensvold said with a laugh. A certified public accountant when not flying with the CAF, Tiensvold said the B-17G is ‘‘like flying a 50,000-pound Super Cub’’ because of its heavy but stable handling in the air.

A tour through ‘‘Sentimental Journey’’ shows much of what a B-17G looked like in 1944. The nose compartment still contains look-alike .50-caliber dummy machine guns with flexible belts, chart tables, bomb arming panels, swiveling crew seats, a Norden bombsight perched in the clear Perspex nose cone, and the master bomb drop switch to the side.

Tiensvold also flies the Arizona Wing’s CASA 2111, which aviation buffs will instantly recognize as a WWII-era Heinkel He 111 bomber.

‘‘To fly it, you have to be able to read Spanish, German and English because the plane is a mishmash,’’ Tiensvold said. ‘‘It’s a German design, manufactured by the Spanish and powered by Rolls-Royce Merlin engines.’’

The wing’s CASA/Heinkel also served as an ‘‘Air Force One’’ of sorts — it was the late Spanish leader Generalissimo Francisco Franco’s personal aircraft before its sale in the 1960s to a film production crew.

Rides are being offered at $350 per person, Tiensvold said, and the fee is tax-deductible since the CAF is a nonprofit museum organization.

The CASA/Heinkel is scheduled to arrive Tuesday morning, and both aircraft will be open for tours at TCRA through Thursday. Donations will be accepted.

ArmouredSprue
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
AeroScale: 116 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 07:46 AM UTC
Well, a sad thing indeed! May they rest in peace in their God´s heaven
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 07:46 AM UTC
Best to the crews family and friends. I saw the bird when I visited the CAF hanger in Mesa awhile back. Have friends that fly for the Planes of Fame, the guys the fly those buckets have nerves of steel, most of the planes are older than they are.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 08:18 AM UTC
The loss of the aircraft is really irrelevant compared to the human tragedy. My heart goes out to their families. As has been pointed out, the crew were doing what they loved, but that can't be much comfort right now to those left behind...
keenan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 01:31 PM UTC
My sentiments exactly, Porky. I hope that my posting the picture of the plane did not in any way imply that I thought the loss of the plane itself was tragic. As I surfed today reading news stories about the accident I was looking for pictures of the men that flew the plane, so I could post them in this forum. They are the loss, not the plane. I apologize if anyone got the wrong impression...

Shaun
waterboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 01:58 PM UTC
Shaun, I can only speak for myself nobody else, but two tragedies happened today. The loss of an important piece of history and the loss of two brave men who thought that history was important enough to die for I saw a reenactment done by the CAF in 1984, after almost 20 years I can still remember that HE 111 flying across that field and could only imagine seeing hundreds flying off to bomb England Saying that the loss of this plane is a tragedy does not diminish the loss of these 2 brave souls . It only reinforces the fact that future generations will never get to really understand a piece of history, something these men thought was important enough to risk their lives for
Wraith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 49 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:45 PM UTC
Man... That really sucks. The loss of life is of course the most tragic part, especially as these were some of the few people who keep those old planes up and running. I agree with waterboy, though: I got to see the "Miss Mitchell", a CAF B-25 performing at the airshow here last month. It really is a remarkable feeling, seeing these magnificent aircraft still flying. The loss of the aircraft is its own tragedy, even though it pales in comparison to the loss of the crew.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 07:33 PM UTC
Hi Shaun

Please don't think I intended any criticism... that was the last thing on my mind.

The loss of such a priceless aircraft is appalling - I get that dreadful "Oh no..." feeling when I hear that another warbird has crashed. It's the classic dilemma; should such unique machines be stored in museums, or kept flying for future generations as an inspiration and reminder of the human cost of war.

A dreadful tragedy from every perspective.

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 05:28 AM UTC
I've just seen the news and a Fairey Firelfy has crashed at Duxford, killing the 2 crew... what a terrible few days.

Rowan
panzerschrek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 05:36 AM UTC
that is really sad we should have ythe engine builders do some R&D to make the engines a little more efficent and longer lasting or at least restore the engines
Teacher
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 05:52 AM UTC
My condolences to the crew's families, my salute to their bravery, my gratitude for their selflessness in displaying such a machine to people that would otherwise never have had the chance to witness it's beauty despite it's purpose.
 _GOTOTOP