_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Best Place to Buy Windsock Datafiles?
BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 10:48 AM UTC
I haven't bought any of these in quite a while, now I'm looking to catch up on some titles of interest. In the past I dealt with several different suppliers here in the USA, none of whom seem to be in business or carry Albatros publications anymore.

Is ordering direct from Albatros worthwhile for a customer in the USA? I'm not interested in subscribing, as I don't want all of their titles. Their prices seem reasonable, but do they soak you for shipping?

Price, shipping fees, service are all important to me. Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Karl
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 03:32 PM UTC
I order direct. Ray has always been good to me.

http://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/

I can also recommend RollModels

http://www.rollmodels.net/search/newsrch.php

More here.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 02:09 AM UTC
As Stephen has pointed out Roll Models has them . You can also get back issues from Byrds Aviation.com I believe . They are in the States . There is another one but I can't recall it at the moment .
BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 05:38 AM UTC
Stephen, Terri--thanks much for the info.

My Google search for Datafiles had turned up basically empty, except for back issues on Amazon and eBay selling for "collector's" prices. It never even occurred to me to see if Roll has them.

I followed the link to Byrd--yes, they do carry them, and at decent prices too. Pity they didn't show up on my Google search--but thanks to the "brain trust" here the word got out anyway--LOL!! Much appreciated!
dmangs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 05:40 AM UTC
Karl,

I second Byrd Aviation (http://www.byrdaviationbooks.com/index.htm)! I've ordered form them on several occasions and their customer service is great -- I usually receive the order within a couple of days. Pricing is average, but they are located near Williamsburg.

Regards,
d
BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Karl,

I second Byrd Aviation (http://www.byrdaviationbooks.com/index.htm)! I've ordered form them on several occasions and their customer service is great -- I usually receive the order within a couple of days. Pricing is average, but they are located near Williamsburg.

Regards,
d

I like what I've seen at Byrds and have decided to give them my business. Good to hear from you that I didn't make the wrong decision. Thank you!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 04:38 PM UTC
Let me caution anyone who sees these on the WWW as free downloads. First there is a site that is doing this and the Datafiles are copyrighted. Pirated copies will get you in a jamb. Please be cautious. Ray Rimell has been very good to modelers and he deserves our respect. End of rant.
BOC262
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 04:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Let me caution anyone who sees these on the WWW as free downloads. First there is a site that is doing this and the Datafiles are copyrighted. Pirated copies will get you in a jamb. Please be cautious. Ray Rimell has been very good to modelers and he deserves our respect. End of rant.

Thieves! What a paradise this world would be without them!

Is there any way to shut the pirate site down and hopefully prosecute the scum running it?

BTW--I did order the Datafiles from Byrds. Their prices are very good and the service is excellent--they kept me informed of the status of my order and the books arrived very quickly.
 _GOTOTOP