_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Workbench-Tamiya Dambuster Lanc
uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 06:35 PM UTC
As we progress, onto the port wing. Work on the outer eng nacelle lots of filling here
Installing the landing gear and the True Details main wheel. MM Non buffing Aluminum
and Flat black was used here.

Still rescribing the fuselage. Next step is to install the engine nacelle around the landing gear more filling will be needed here as well after test fitting.

Fly Navy! Chuck
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 07:21 PM UTC
Hi Chuck

I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished model :-)

Maybe you could take some "how-to" shots to illustrate re-scribing (pics maybe not practical on black plastic)... . I've oftern looked at my own Lanc in its box and wondered if I should dare try re-scribing something on that scale!! :-)

All the best

Rowan
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2003 - 07:24 PM UTC
Looks good, makes me want to pull my Nemisis out of its storage box!!!! looks great, may I suggest buying stock in the company that makes your filler.. STUG
uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 07:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks good, makes me want to pull my Nemisis out of its storage box!!!! looks great, may I suggest buying stock in the company that makes your filler.. STUG

It's 3M Red Glazing automotive filler. The Blue stuff works as well also. Big tube it will dry out first before you use it all. I've had this one going on 6 years now.

Fly Navy!
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 04:11 AM UTC
Grrrr... Nothing but the red x of eternal frustration. Is there a link we could have?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 04:15 AM UTC
:-) Like it. uscusn, do you think that the True Details main wheel are worth it? Are they a big improvement over the kit wheels?
Rowan

Quoted Text

Maybe you could take some "how-to" shots to illustrate re-scribing (pics maybe not practical on black plastic)... . I've oftern looked at my own Lanc in its box and wondered if I should dare try re-scribing something on that scale!!

Yes you should re-scrib. I will be because of my weathering technique. I am preparing an article on re-scribing, actually black plastic is good, the way I do it :-)
Mal
uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 06:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

:-) Like it. uscusn, do you think that the True Details main wheel are worth it? Are they a big improvement over the kit wheels?
Rowan

Quoted Text

Maybe you could take some "how-to" shots to illustrate re-scribing (pics maybe not practical on black plastic)... . I've oftern looked at my own Lanc in its box and wondered if I should dare try re-scribing something on that scale!!

Yes you should re-scrib. I will be because of my weathering technique. I am preparing an article on re-scribing, actually black plastic is good, the way I do it :-)

Yes they are! It beats the kit wheels. In this case the bulge isn't so out of touch with this heavy bomber. I will also try to show my technique on how rescribed the panel on the fuselage.

Thanks Fly Navy! Chuck
Mal

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 07:00 PM UTC
Hi Chuck and Mal

Yes, I was wondering whether taking photos to illustrate scribing it might be harder on black plastic but, with careful lighting, the scribing should show up as pale lines. :-)

I always re-scibe kits that feature paised panel lines.... I know some folks say scribing is equally unrealistic and I've seen the argument about scribing or raised detail get a bit stupid on some sites. The Lanc is a classic example of the dilemma - the original was covered in raised rivets and overlapping panels. But that detail is bound to be lost on the seams during construction and, for me, scribing seems simpler and more "natural".

Looking forward to either of your feature articles! :-)

All the best

Rowan
uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 07:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Chuck and Mal

Yes, I was wondering whether taking photos to illustrate scribing it might be harder on black plastic but, with careful lighting, the scribing should show up as pale lines. :-)

I always re-scibe kits that feature paised panel lines.... I know some folks say scribing is equally unrealistic and I've seen the argument about scribing or raised detail get a bit stupid on some sites. The Lanc is a classic example of the dilemma - the original was covered in raised rivets and overlapping panels. But that detail is bound to be lost on the seams during construction and, for me, scribing seems simpler and more "natural".

Looking forward to either of your feature articles! :-)

All the best

Rowan

Hello Rowan:

What was so nice was the fine light rivets that was originally on the fuselage before they were glued together. But as soon as a light swipe of the sandpaper hit that plastic there went that fine detail. That's when I decided to rescribe the panel lines. Question the wings, I am undecided if I should let the wings be as they are or should they be rescribed as well?

Fly Navy!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 08:07 AM UTC
Hi Chuck

You've summed it up beautifully... :-) If only there was an EASY way to get raised rivets and recessed panel lines... anybody out there got a technique?

If Stugiiif's right about the fit of the nacelles, the "problem" about whether to scribe the wings may decide itself...!

Looking forward to the next installment...

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP