_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
call of duty sea knight..
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 09:31 AM UTC
hi guys

i dont know if anyone has played call of duty modern warfare on the xbox 360 but on some levels like the 1st mission on the russian container ship at the end of the level you have to jump off the sinkin ship onto a sea knight helicopter... so my question is which model of the sea knight is this?? you can also play some other levels on the sea knight where you man the mk19 grenade launcher. and rescue a pilot running to the sea knight aswell...

if anyone can tell me which model of the sea knight this is and which is best company to get the version in 1/72nd scale it would be appreciated muchly =]

thanks in advance for all information

tony
USMCDoc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 01:21 PM UTC
Tony,

I have not played the game so I do not know which version is depicted but I can tell you that After 23 years and 1200+ hours in the 46 that the Mk19 is not a mounted weapon (unless they have started mounting it on the ramp) for the 46 airframe.

Look at the engine intake covers. If it has none it probably is an early "A" model. If it has a cone shaped cover it should be a "D" model, and If it has a cone with a flat end it would be an "E" or "F". The "E" model is the current USMC variant, or whats left of them, has the more powerful T58-GE-16 Engine, avionics upgrades and lighter fiberglass blades.

With the mission designations UH46 = Utility, CH46 = Cargo, and HH46 = SAR.

All models can be built, with some modifications, with the Academy 1/48 46A, 46E, and 46D kits.

Post those pics!

Doc
Thatguy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have not played the game so I do not know which version is depicted but I can tell you that After 23 years and 1200+ hours in the 46 that the Mk19 is not a mounted weapon (unless they have started mounting it on the ramp) for the 46 airframe.

No, you're correct on this. They took some artistic license with that portion (it is a game after all heh). The launcher could cause catastrophic damage to armored vehicles too.

I had numerous discussions with people on why 40mm grenade launchers have been tested, but never adopted as door guns. After these discussions and doing a lot of research myself, the velocity of even the HV 40mm grenades and the fact that they have to spin to arm seem to have made the type of weapon difficult to use in all airborne applications. As early as 1964, there are complaints in the official reporting about the M5 subsystem because adjusting fire with the turret pointed anywhere but straight forward is difficult because the helicopter had most likely passed the target before the rounds impacted. As late as 1991, the technical manual for the AH-1S (MoD) says if the M129 launcher is fitted to the M28 turret and its not fixed forwad, then you're not supposed to use the weapon under 125 feet AGL, probably because of the arming issue.

That being said, I have heard from veterans, that in 1987, HMM-263 got permission to fabricate a mount for and mount a Mk 19 on the CH-46E. I'm not sure how those tests went, but its not something that's done now, so I assume there was some sort of issue. Chin's the Machine Gun, Volume 5 has a picture of a Mk 19 Mod 1 on an Army UH-1, and there were numerous tests by the US Army of other 40mm types. Again, since these never saw any sort of widespread use, I'll assume there was a problem of some sort. The only active combat I know for sure with a door mounted 40mm, was the use of the XM174 from the doors of the 20th SOS UH-1Ps, and even then it was carried in the cabin in case the Minigun jammed. The problem there was more that the weapon was decidedly unreliable and fed from belt boxes with very limited capacity.
USMCDoc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 01:24 PM UTC
Great info, thanks!
 _GOTOTOP