_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II: USA
Aircraft of the United States in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Avenger 3 tone - hard edge or soft edge?
patton76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 568 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 10:09 AM UTC
Hello,

I'm working on the Italeri Avenger, and I was wondering if the 3 tone camo was soft edge or hard edge.

I must say, tanks are a whole lot easier then aircraft! I'm possibly doing my worst build ever!

I did the Avenger in a hard edge 3 tone, with Tamiya AS cans, sprayed with my airbrush. But when I tear off the mask, the paint has formed some hard, peel like, edge... Any way to solve this? I guess this is because the paint can't flow there, and as such is building up, creating a hard rand...

I saw that the tamiya laquer thinner removes all the paint to the plastic, so I will probably strip the airplane, would this be a good idea?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Greetz,

Dave
mkostic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 10:46 AM UTC
I would use soft edge. See this pic and decide for yourself.

As for the paint buildup, you can prevent it if you are using slow drying paint like enamels, by lifting mask as soon as you finish painting. That will prevent paint to dry against the masking medium. If you use fast drying paint, you need to let it cure thorougly, and then carefuly sand the buildup down, using VERY fine sanding stick. You will smear it if your paint isn't cured. Beware that even acrylic paints can take months to cure if you make a thick coat.

Cheers,
Milos
 _GOTOTOP