_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
spitfire
henkp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,080 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 09:05 AM UTC
just saw on bbc james mays top toys about modeling how he started with a airfix spitfire model 1:72 when he was a boy .and now hewas building a new one but now
scale 1:1 with help for some kids was nice to see greetings henk
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 10:20 AM UTC
Thanks for the reminder- I caught it on iPlayer after seeing your post.
(for those in the UK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00nnm3d/James_Mays_Toy_Stories_Airfix/ )

The only negative of the programme was the use of the word 'Airfix' as a replacement for plastic modelling, or even a substance. It was nice to see some of the kids pick up an interest in the hobby.

It was also interesting to see what appeared to be a production plant in the UK producing 1/48 Airfix spitfires- I thought everything had gone to China?
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 10:35 AM UTC
I did start a post about this show over on the Bulldogs

Link to Thread

Airfix was a staple diet for the UK modeller in it heyday, which is what James may was focussing on. But the Tamigawa companies have taken a large share in the industry now, which I feel is a shame for Airfix. Also the term "Airfix" was probably used in the show as most viewers that are not in the hobby know the brand name. It would have been nice to expand he show to point out that it's not just Airfix that make kits nowadays but I would say (having dealt with Trevor Snowden in the past several times) that all of the kits were donated by Airfix, so its only right that they get the airtime and publicity.

My only bug bear for me is he kept referring at the beginning that the hobby is followed by middle aged men. Camogirl and I are not middle aged and Camogirl is certainly not male

Apart from that I enjoyed the show and hope to see the 1:1 Spitfire when the Bulldogs meet at Cosford before heading to the IPMS Nats at Telford.
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 06:36 AM UTC
I caught this and loved it,i sat enthralled with my 12 year old son.I thought that it was well made and kept us both glued (no pun intended ) to our seats,there was a little history mixed with some humour ( the gentlemen in the shop with blacked-out faces ).
When it had finished he looked into my eyes and said "Dad,can i have a Spitfire for Christmas ?" - RESULT !!.
Nuff said,Huh?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"Dad,can i have a Spitfire for Christmas ?" - RESULT !!.
Nuff said,Huh?

Remember, "You just can't have too many Spitfires".

Brilliant, take a look at my second post in the thread on the Bulldogs site, linked to in Allens post If I get a response it could get interesting
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 10:16 AM UTC
I also like the comment about building armour being fiddly and frustrating.
 _GOTOTOP