_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Contests
A monthly online photo contest. Show your work!
Why don't you enter the MOM?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 07:15 AM UTC
Well, why not? The MOM is open to all Kitmaker members, except staff.
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 05:41 AM UTC
I feel a lot of people on here dont enter the MOM because its held at to high
a standard.For instance my Mustang that i entered a few months back that i thought
was really good but nobody voted for it because they said it was historicly inacurate.
That kind of shyed me away for awhile but im going enter november's and try.
It could be the prize maybe as i dont build anything but american really i would not
really look forward to winning a Bf-109 or what not,it seems mostly german aircraft
get handed out.Just my thoughts and opinion but you know what they say about opinions.

Build on,
Justin
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 06:03 AM UTC
I would if I could get anything done
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 09:28 AM UTC
Camogirl and I have our reasons which we can discuss further at the weekend if you wish....

but my main reason at the moment is I have plenty of kits on the go but none finished yet.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 02:47 AM UTC
Like Tuomas and Allen , I never seem to finish a build to be able to enter it and when I do it's to late . But I'm not into the competition of it to see who is the best modeller out there .

Maybe more folks would enter if there was a better choice of prizes as well . It's great to have Dragon supporting the MOM but not every one is into the same thing like Justin has pointed out . Not that there is anything wrong with that .

I find the rules are very simple to follow . memebers vote on what they like the best , not like at a model show where judges do the real nit-picking because there is a slight seem here or there . It's what's appling to our eyes .

It's a hard one Mal to say why not very many enter in it , more would be nice . However , having more manufactures take part might draw a bigger crowd .
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 03:17 AM UTC
I would... if I only had some time to finish my models!
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 04:11 AM UTC
It's more like the MOY contest for a shuffling b@st@rd like me!
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 08:57 PM UTC
I havn't entered the last few months as the last few aircraft I have actually managed to finished are the review and feature models for the two magazines I write for so its a bit hard to put pics up of them as chances are the pics will go into the magazine when they do the mags own the copy write to them. So dont really want to get into any trouble etc. (theres only so much eye fluttering I can do )

I think its great that Dragon are kind enough to sponsor the MOM, I think people should be thankful that we do have a sponsor (me and Allen remember the days of harricatures (they were great) and the amount of work you put in to find a sponsor ) Dragon always seem to provide the new releases as prizes I adore my 1/48 Mistel and Allens BF-110 we were lucky enough to win. If the people entering dont enter just because of the prizes surely they are missing the point just because you dont like the prize dosen't mean others wont. Why not trade with a friend etc for something more you. Only takes a second to think.

I take part for the fun of it if people are only entering because they want to win a model theres something wrong its nice to win a prize but surely on an online forum it should be the taking part, being part of something and seeing other work to inspire you should be the reason for doing it? I see entering actual shows (then again Ive stopped taking that seriously now) as a more serious thing which is like a chore this is just fun. I always thought of it as a way of encouraging people to finish a kit and get some pics of it up (rather than just posting 'looks good' and criticism about other peoples work on the forums and not seeing the person posting these comments work)

Sam now gets down from her soapbox and wanders over to the bench to wipe away some cobwebs and make a start on something

Anyway after the weekend of shopping at SMW I will try and have something done for the Dec one
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 09:31 PM UTC
..I'm with Justin on this one.. I can finish a kit to a reasonable standard but it will never be good enough for MOM, especially when I can see straight away how good the competition is..now if I could post 'blind' and nobody else knew what had been entered either -until after the cut off date - that might be something else ..
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 12:04 AM UTC
I would like to enter sometimes, but I do not do it for several reasons:

- Since it is judged by photos, it is very important and half a job done is having good photos, and I am not good at taking model photos.
- The tendency seems to be 1/48 scale, and too many German subjects both of which is turning me away. (I build 1/72 and anything but German).
- Lately I have tended to mess up any aircraft model I began building, the last 5-6 models ended up in the bin unfortunately.

The fact that I cannot really contend with the many great builds would not necessary put me off, but the above factors do

JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 01:10 AM UTC
Well as a constant and willing folower of it in the past I generally can't build models much lately and if I do I either miss the deadline or can't get online to upload( I am a real last moment guy). At least I have finished models in this month and I am planing to participate this time. Who knows maybe it will be a "come back".
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 07:52 AM UTC
Thanks for all your replies, so far.
I am a bit tied up with things mask related so I will reply when I have a little more time.

Thanks again, please keep 'em coming.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 09:42 AM UTC
For me it's all about the stiff competition. I entered last month and only got 2 votes. It's not because no one likes me (I hope ) but simpily because my skill level is so far below most of the other contestants. That being said, I'll continue to enter when I have a finished model. And even it Dragon didn't supply the prize it would still be a great feeling to win just knowing that other people thought your efforts were top notch.

My 2 cents.
Hermon
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 10:40 AM UTC
I entered once, and won. I do not want to ruin my winning percentage.

Seriously, I don't think I have completed anything worthy.
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 08:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's not because no one likes me (I hope ) but simpily because my skill level is so far below most of the other contestants.

I disagree. There is no such thing. It is just that the other entries might be more intresting, popular, or slightly better built. It doesn't mean your personal skills is "lower" than others. If there is someone with low skills, that would be me.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 10:16 PM UTC
I am not very competitive...

Also, in all honesty, the level of the entries in the MOM is very high, i don't stand a chance . There is nothing wrong with that, it is only not very motivating to participate.

and i do not finish things too often

When I manage to finish something, I usually do a feature of some kind. I find that a better way to contribute to the site.

There have been discussions in the forum on having a reward and recognition system for contributors in a kind of "article of the month" contest.

I have no idea if this would help in any way but i do guess that some people writing features or reviews can get disappointed with the very small feedback that they are getting.

Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 07:43 AM UTC
I am hoping to enter something soon... just need to finish something! Hopefully, I will have my 1/32 Shoki done in the next month and will enter that
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 09:03 AM UTC
I often enter, but seldom (i.e. never) win. I did my best work (in my own opionon at least) a little while ago, and received two votes!

I find comfort in the knowledge
a) that it appears harder to win with a model in a smaller scale,
b) that German WWII fighters seems more popular than obscure 70's Swedish trainers,
c) that there are quite a few brilliant builders around - with lots more experiance and skill than me, and - most importantly -
d) that next time I'll kick ass!

But seriously, friends

Next time I will win and all the glory (I don't care much for the prize) will be mine!!!

Oh, yes!

// PolarBear
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 10:14 PM UTC
Thank you all for the comments and there are a couple of points that I would like to pick up on:
Quoted Text

now if I could post 'blind'

I can arrange the posting blind bit, by having the competition gallery pics sent to me, but the vote would still have to be the same, and what would we do about the competition thread? Please expand on this

2. I do understand about not posting because of the level of competition but we really are just after pictures of completed models, the prize is a bonus and we really couldn't say no to Dragon. I have been thinking about a second prize, ie my masks but, at the moment that could cause me a lot of work, although this might be something that I can do in the near future. If there is something, mask related, that I could do as a generic set (so that I can just cut it and send it) that anyone can think of just let me know.

3. Along with the second prize idea I have been thinking about a second MOM for the "novice" or whatever you would like to call it. The prize would have to be thought about, but what is the general opinion?

Quoted Text

Since it is judged by photos, it is very important and half a job done is having good photos, and I am not good at taking model photos.

Gábor quite right, but the aims original contest was "to get more pictures of model aircraft into the gallery and to improve the standard of model photography". This is still the case but I suppose that we need a some articles on how to take pictures easily.

It seems that the main reason for not entering is the level of competition? I can't see any easy way around that, it is essentially a good thing. If I were to ban members from entering if they have won then we would have fewer and fewer entries.
So the question now is:
What changes, if any, would you like to see for the MOM competition for next year? I'm happy to "Brain Storm" (Throw in any idea, however daft it appears, it may generate a good one) this to see what we come up with.

_GOTOTOP