_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
UH-1
jesmith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 02:35 PM UTC
Are there any whispers about any company going to put out 1/35 UH-1D? I have the only one on the market, but it would be excellent to have one that is not a re do of the Panda. Considering how many of us got a ride into our own little terror, it would be great if we had a good one to build. There are black hawks out there, but let's get one that got our pucker up for the first time.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 03:25 AM UTC
No word on anyone else coming out w/a 1/35 UH-1. The Panda-come-Dragon kits aren't that bad. They can be made into gems with a little TLC. Here are two I have done.

Vietnam MedEvac

More here.

White Sands SAR

More here.

jesmith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 03:03 PM UTC
Thank you. Looks like a couple of delta hogs you did excellent work on.

My skill set is nowhere near as full as yours on this. Tough for a old grunt to admit to a cannon cocker.

I gather it started with a Dragon UH-1D--any other sets or goodies I need for something used in the late 70's early 80's in and the central american part of the world?

Thanks

Follow Me

HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 01:27 AM UTC
Both have some of the Cobra Company resin upgrade sets and/or scratch-built parts for the interiors, and Fireball Modelworks resin sets and decals. The interior is the area that is most lacking. Click on the "More here" links to see what it took to make them. The cream-colored parts are the resin sets; white parts are sheet plastic.

Here is a run-down of things that need correcting/updating.

Dragon added some nice PE (however both have the same PE sheet, which means the N has a D/H model instrument panel PE) and a few other features to them. The N and D/H are the same boxings with a few different features. The N has incorrect weapons for a USMC helo and the D has only one M23 doorgun though. The interiors are lacking and really need the Cobra Company upgrade/detail sets. The rivets are too big and could use a light sanding to knock them down a bit as well. The rotor blade is wrong for a D or H model too. You can see how to fix them below, or Cobra Company has a rotor blade correction set. Also, you have to know which version you are building and what features go on it. The directions do not point out different parts for different versions and there are parts in the kit to build an early D up through a current UH-1H+ model.

The rotor blades in the D/H kit are the same as the N kit, but are incorrect for the D/H model. They are easy to fix though. In the below picture you see the kit blade in the middle (UH-1N or Bell 212 blade). The bottom blade shows the area in red that needs to be removed for a UH-1D/H (Bell 205) blade. The top is the corrected blade.

For aircraft used in Central America, it is best to either get a picture of a particular bird or an idea of a typical bird from the time period.
jesmith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 04:44 AM UTC
Thank you very much.

Looks like it really is up to me to get busy.

John
 _GOTOTOP