_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Qualifying for the BfB campaign
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 07:23 AM UTC
:-) Well guys and Gals, first of all let me say thanks to all those that entered the BfB campaign. To those that didn't manage to complete it, my condolences. I know from my own experience that there many factors that can leap out to prevent you from finishing what, in the first instance, seemed relatively easy. This campaign appears to have been dogged by gremlins and it would be interesting to hear, from those that weren't able to finish, if they were hit by gremlins aswell?
To those that did complete the campaign, a very well done. I believe the ribbons are being sorted and will be issued soon. Here is the list of those that I believe finished, I have an uncomfortable feeling though that I have missed someone. If this is the case then please let me know.
Brandydoguk
Holdfast
Twistedfate
SS-74
Porky
Bytepilot
Tomcat14
Airworrior
Stugiiif

Penpen . He requested an extension of one week to the 14th (I've lost the thread) But I granted it. I also neglegted to post it on the campaign folder, sorry. So lets hope he posts by tomorrow. :-)

Chief . Because of circumstances, will get 10 weeks from when he contacts me to say he's able to start. That was posted on the campaign folder.

Vlady . Vlads entry was actually a Mk V (the rules do state "flown during the battle", or words to that effect) so this entry should actually be disqualified. However it was painfully obvious that Vlad didn't realise, plus the language barrier, so, mainly because he lived up to the spirit of the campaign by posting pics and actually scratch building a rudder, against all the odds. It would be a great shame after all his hard work that he didn't recieve a ribbon. This is given in the spirit of encouragement . I have had exchanged several e-mails and PMs with Vlad on this subject.

I hope I haven't missed anyone (or added anyone) If I have pleas let me know.

I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did.

I would welcome comments here, about the campaign, good and bad. Mainly to help future campaign leaders. To start this off, a couple from me:

1. Although the categories were, to me, quite straight forward I think they became a little confused in the translation. So categories need to be kept simple.

2. The idea of including a base was to enhance presentation. This was because of the intended vote by Armorama members. It seems to have caused a little consternation, thoughts please.

3. It was great to see aircraft almost taking over the RRB, especially in the last week. This was part of the elements of the campaign, to get aircraft models wider coverage and interest. By doing this though the vote thing was compramised. Members know who built the models. This is not a major deal because the main thing was to get the pics posted.

4. I didn't really have a method to collate entries, particularly completed ones. This has caused me the problem of being unsure has to who has actually finished. I could have made it alot easier

I think a BfB campaign each anniversary would be a good idea what do you think?

Now, the original idea for a vote of the favourite model was going to be just for those taking part. As I cocked up the big "A" members vote we are defaulting back to this. It has been sorted out and I'm just waiting for an album to be created. When it is I will explain how the voting will take place. :-)

Looking forward to your imput (those not involved are welcome too).
Mal
vlady
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 534 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 07:36 AM UTC
well, i would like to thanks Mal for undestanding and apologise for the problem. Mal, i like the idea of a campaing every anniversary and i promise that on the next one (if there be one) i'll make a model that did participate
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hi Mal

Firstly, thankyou for organising the BoB campaign! :-) As a relative (1 month) newbie, it was my first experience of an Armorama campaign... if future ones are as much fun, I'll be one happy Piggy!!

Thoughts on your thoughts:

For me, building a base added a fresh element to the project. I'd never done one before and it made me take different perspective on things - never a bad thing!

I see how posting on the RRB caused a problem... people who couldn't post any pics lost out. (of course, those that did risked the boredom factor... "oh no!! not HIM/HER again...!"). Still, nice to push the tanks to one side for a while... maybe we should do a Tankbuster Campaign? (Sorry, I do build the occasional Armour model...honest...)

I love the idea of an annual campaign... but next time let's all "change sides". Maybe that could be a requirement for people who entered the year before... but that would need some way of keeping track....

Thanks again

Rowan
vlady
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 534 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 07:56 AM UTC
well, porky, acctually i was thinking to build a bf 109 next year
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 08:03 AM UTC
For me it would be a Gladiator, Blenheim or Defiant...

All the best

Rowan
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 09:41 AM UTC
Thanks Mal for getting the campaign up and running. For me half the enjoyment was seeing what the other guys built, there were some great ideas and in a few cases some great improvisations to actually complete by the finish date. I agree that it would be good to do this anually and I like the idea from Rowan about next time swapping sides. Well done everybody.
Martin
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 11:32 PM UTC
I like to point out that I HADN'T finished the base on time, (still working on it), so as I understand that the rule is you must have a base. In this case, if I am not qualified, I feel it's fair and square. Just like to point out, because I don't want to take credit when I am not deserving.

But I like to say, I have great fun doing this campaign, it's a great one, and seeing all these planes got done, great stuff.

Da Truth is Outta There, and Da Base will be Outta Sometimes Soon. #:-) (++) (++)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 07:43 AM UTC
:-) Yep, I think changing sides is a good idea, then the time after should be a change of type, or both for next years, if there is one. I was hoping for a more diverse entry, I was originally going to do a Walrus, or a Blenheim. I suppose there is no getting away from the fact the modellers like the 109. :-)
The base was just to enhance the display of the individual models. Some seemed to miss this in the rules and it caused a bit of head scratching, as to what was required. When this became apparent I did say not to worry about it. Dave you posed your 109 on the box, under the rules this actually qualifies :-) Even if you didn't realise it. I don't think it would be fair to disqualify you on those grounds and allow Vlad in with his Mk V. So you both qualify :-)
I have been known to be to generous. Next time watch out I don't generally go with "the rules are ment to be broken" school but I believe in the case my first campaign we have all learnt, so it's a fair exchange.
As far as posting on the RRB, I believe that to be one of the best ways to promot aircraft modelling, here on Armorama. None aircraft modellers are more likely to take a look there than on the aircraft board. I also believe what we aircraft modellers should do is to show, well, solidarity. By this I mean when an aircraft model is posted, aircraft modellers post at least a "well done". If you look at the amount of views compared to the amount of comments you will see what I mean. I used to post a comment on every model posted on the RRB, however the number seams to have grown somewhat and with work and everything else I have less time here. I quite often, now, only get to look at the General, Aircraft, Intro and RR boards. So, until things change I am comenting on all aircraft and the occasional AFV. What I'm getting at is the fact there are many more armour modellers than aircraft modellers at the big "A" so lets support each other. If someone posts on the RRB and asks for coments then respond. If you don't like the wethering then it's gotta be OK to say so, as long as you say why. This gives the modeller the chance to reply, this in turn might start a discussion. This in turn helps us all to learn, which is what it's all about :-) I hope that all makes sense, I am not knocking those modellers on the dark side, I just want to see more aircraft models.
Again I would be interested as to why some were unable to finish. The reason is mainly that I had the feeling that the campaign was just to short, by about 2 weeks. Thoughts please
Enough from me
Mal
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 08:01 AM UTC
Mal, I agree about posting replies about the work of others posted on the RRB. To be honest I usually only check on aircraft subjects. I never like to say if I think something doesn't look right as my own weathering "style" is not to most people's taste and would probably produce a lot of criticisms. I do like to say a WELL DONE to most posts and am always ready to ask questions about how a certain technique was done.
I think you may be right about the timespan being too short on the campaign for a lot of people. I'm in the fortunate position of working really early shifts so have much of the daylight hours to myself. Most people don't and only get a limited few hours a week for modelling. Maybe next time 3 months would be a better deal?
Martin
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 09:43 PM UTC
I'm in ! And it was done in the nick of time !
My engagement, and then picking back on sleep afterwards nearly got me out !
but now i've got a beautiful fiancee and a model for the campaign !!!
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 09:54 PM UTC
Oh thank you the Great good campaign leader. Finally a good wolf. YEAHHHHHHHHHH!, More Ribbon for Dave....

May I make a small suggestion, can we do an European war campaign, so we can including more variety of planes. (++)

Mal is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (++) (++) (++) (++)
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 10:40 PM UTC

Thank's Mal for a BOB Campaign , and put me there , it My first time to take a part in this kind of event , anf for the first time from a long past I do My model in that short time . For now I waiting still for My Friend Photographer who is on vacation to take a pics for My finished project .
I wanted to thanks all You Guys for be a part of it , without competion it won't be the same,
So see Ya at BoB Reunion .... Beer for all
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 12:32 AM UTC
Mal, I unfortunatly was left off the list!!! I posted my cpmpleted dio in the DIORAMA FORUM, seeing finished is frowned upon bye some of our members!!!!! A correction will be apreciated but I understand the oversight. Thanks for a fun campaign!!!! STUG
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 07:27 AM UTC
Stug, I appologies, I knew there was someone else ( how could I forget your entry) I tried to get them all together on the RRB by adding a comment at the same time. I didn't find yours, now I know why. Sneaking it off to the diorama board. (Not sure what you mean about some members frowning on finish?) If you mean showing finished models on the RRB, I don't agree. I intend to show all my finished models there :-)
Anyway Stug, sorry for the oversight, I will edit my post to include you. Well done for finishing.
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 07:38 AM UTC
:-) Yes Dave a European theatre campaign would be good. I would like to encourage more bombers :-)
Mal
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 04:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

:-) Yes Dave a European theatre campaign would be good. I would like to encourage more bombers :-)
Mal

Bombers? With turrets? With all that masking?!!!! OK I'd give it a go, there don't seem to be many bombers from WW2 posted here. It would either be lots of fun, or even more for the Gremlins to get at #:-)
Martin
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 05:49 PM UTC
Hey Mal,

Pencil me in for a Lancaster if a Bomber campaign goes online...

Cheers,
BP.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 07:40 AM UTC
:-) Just in case you haven't seen it, take a look at Jim's post on the RRB. We still need aircraft models on there and like Jim is saying, it is a board for constructive criticism. We don't want to disgourage new and/or young modellers, so in the spirit of the board we need to encourage modellers to post and make a point of giving constructive criticism with the aim being to help the postee learn. Basically chip in and make a discussion over it. Those posting ought really to check often and respond. That will keep the thread going and all can learn. One other point, If I think the modeller might be young, I check their profile. If this is the case I take the age into acount when replying :-)

Quoted Text

Pencil me in for a Lancaster if a Bomber campaign goes online...

:-) I can see this heading for a Lancaster campaign, or better still a 4 engine campaign :-)
Mal
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:35 PM UTC
Uh Mal, I'm as long as it does not need a base for the plane...LOL #:-) !! I have an Airfix 1/72 Lanc, and just looking at it and trying to imagine a base gives me the shhhhhhhhivers...

Seriously though, I feel that although the base added an element of drama to the plane, the problem is after the campaign gets over. Over here, I'm running short on space to house my finished models, and the base is compounding this problem!

Another thing is, I don't have access in India to the diorama stuff that's available abroad, like Celluclay, static grass, cat litter etc. So I had to do some really frantic head scratching to come up with my plain wooden-plank concept for the base. Even after I did, I didn't see anybody give me feedback - good or bad about the base, in the RRB. I'll then assume that my Haifisch was so good that people just overlooked the base...hehehe !

So, I think the base should really be made optional for future campaigns. Just my 2bucks at the end...

Cheers,
BP.

PS: One more thing.. when are we getting our BoB campaign ribbons? And how will they show up? In the posts on the left hand side? Just curious...
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:44 PM UTC
Oh one more thing BTW... I have made up a feature article on the building of my Haifisch, and will be sending it in to the moderator soon..Keeping my fingers crossed that it will make it to the site...

BP.
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 12:25 AM UTC
Hi BP, I guess you are right about the 110 drawing attention away from the base, to be honest I was guilty of only checking out the aircraft in the pictures of all the entries and didn't really pay much attention to the bases they were on. I think it is like looking at a picture and not noticing the picture frame . Your base is well built and weathered. I'm not sure about the black marks leading forward from the wheels, are they oil leaks? Other than that your whole entry was an excellent example of how to scratchbuild parts when you don't have the suppliers available to simply get hold of new bits.
Martin
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 12:49 AM UTC
Hi Martin,

Yup, I do agree that the plane does in most of the cases take away most of the sheen from the base. Not that I'm complaining too much... !

The oil streaks were meant to convey the impression of an aircraft backing up over standing small puddles of oil(left there by a previous aircraft perhaps, or maybe the aircraft was parked after a sortie, when it leaked, and then moved back to make space for another plane ! Just my imagination running riot here...)

Cheers,
BP.
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 12:59 AM UTC
BP, thanks for the explanation, I think you have got it spot on regarding the oil leaks. The reason I have never built bases showing tarmac, concrete or boards is that I really lack the imagination to weather them. Grass is easy for me, sprinkle grass powder over white glue and job done with minimal effort on my part heh heh.
Martin
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 07:09 AM UTC
:-) If we do ever do a 4 engine campaign I certainly don't want to be building a base for my 1/48 Lancaster :-)
Mal
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 08:57 AM UTC
First of all....Mal thanks for noticing, the problem was more wanting to avoid the gripes of certain members who have ranted on the RRB, sorry for the wrong location. second could we make the 4 engine campaignjust a bamber campaign?!?!?!?!?!? I' running out of room. I have 5 Large scale projects waiting for a place to put them!!! For me a nice single or twin engine bomber would wonders. Aside from that I saw 1/72nd wellington bomber that would be perfect for this campaign!!!! But if not I'm sure I could find something in the lines of a B17 or B24!!!! STUG
 _GOTOTOP