_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/32 Tomahawk 3 Sqd RAAF
bilko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 584 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 11:22 PM UTC
I started this kit over 3 years ago in Mackay but a transfer to Brisbane has seen it sitting in the cupboard until the "Get the Job Done Again" campaign on Armorama made me extract my digit.

It is the Trumpeter kit with Aero Imageworks decals. The modifications to convert from a Tomahawk IIA to a IIB a relatively minor and consist of:- scratching a reflector gunsight - done by casting a 1/32 Spitfire sight, adding the radio mast and additional aerial - again by casting from the Spit kit, and a new pitot tube made from brass rod.

The aircraft depicted is that flown by Flying Officer Andrew (Nicky) Barr (later Sqd Leader and OC) 3 Squadron RAAF in North Africa. In this aircraft on 12/12/42 he claimed his first victory - a Bf110 and the next day 2 more - a Bf109F and Ju88. He quickly rose to become Squadron Leader of 3 Sq and was shot down and captured on 26/6/42. He made numerous excape attempts and eventually joined a group of commandos and partisans behind the lines in Italy where he helped downed aircrew to return to Allied lines.

Somewhere I have hisbiography - it is an extremely interesting story - and it helps that he is a Queenslander!!

When he eventually returned to the Allied side 3 Squadron were in Italy and he accompanied a couple of sorties in the P51s that they were then equipped with. Maybe even the one that I made last year.

Brian
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 12:12 AM UTC
Very nice work Brian, it must feel good to have finished after all this time. I have a Camel (1/28 Revell) in the cupboard that I must have started 15 years ago, but I have some sort of mental block that stops me from carrying on with it. One day I'll get over myself and give it the finish it deserves !

Cheers mate, love the builds you've shown us here !!
 _GOTOTOP