_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Drawing help
AikinutNY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 683 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 02:14 PM UTC
I am trying to find a drawing/decal of the unit insignia that was on the side of an American plain in WWI. The design was of a Indian brave in a long war bonnet. Any one know the unit I am asking about?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 07:35 PM UTC
There were several AEF units that used the screaming indian head as a unit insignia. The original and the one I suspect your looking for is the 103rd Aero. The unit was actually the original Lafayette Escadrille. At first in French service (N.124, Spa 124) they used an image from the Savage arms box. Then it was changed to a screaming Souix in a war bonnet / headress of a tribal elder or chief. Then when they went to the AEF as 103rd Aero they took the emblem with them. Below is a profile of William Thaw's Spad VII in French service.

The image is posted at Ace pilots and advertises for Osprey publishers.

See also

AikinutNY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 683 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 06:00 AM UTC
It could be, but I thought it was longer or maybe just the bonnet. Could it have been on a Nieuport?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 06:08 AM UTC
None of the other indian head insignias had a bonnet any longer. Yes, The French designation for Escadrilles N, Spa, Dor, Ca was a direct reference to the equipment they used. Nieuport 124 = N.124.

AEF unit markings
 _GOTOTOP