_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
seamy work
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 06:06 AM UTC
looking for opinions on seam finishing technique.I have referenced "reading the seams" tutorial and do realize he does flawless work however thats not for me, I simply do no have the patience or time for that method I seem to get good results with thinned down tamiya putty and modifying for proper fit.Question is can I expect as good a result with the putty and Q tip/solvent method? I am waiting for the elusive Mr. soft putty and Mr. surfacer products, I will probably be dead by the time it arrives Its on backorder
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 07:08 AM UTC
I've always used Nitrostan (a car car body spot and glazing putty), let it dry, and then wet sand. Afterwards the seams are checked with silver paint.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 11:24 AM UTC
Just my two cents worth, I make sure first I have a really good cemented seam, preferably with a little bead of plastic coming out. Let it dry, then sand it. Any areas can be checked with just about any color, green or brown even, some people exclusively use silver or aluminum though, it's up to you. I find that drawing a line of super glue over the area is a great way of filling seams. You can accelerate it drying by dribbling some water over the area where the super glue is, sand almost immediately afterward. Let the seam take what it wants and remove the excess. Hope this helps some. Russell
 _GOTOTOP