_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Question on decal solution...
Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 10:29 AM UTC
Hi all
I recently picked up a bottle of Polly Scale decal set solution. Now question is, is this meant to be used in conjunction with another product, ie. similar to microset and microsol?
It was the only product of its kind at the LHS I went to, so not too sure if it is or not, never used any similar products before. I'm sure someone out there will be gracious enough to set me straight!
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 11:06 AM UTC
Hi there from the United States. Decal softening solution softens the decals and allows them to conform to any irregularities which may be present on the model. I.E. such things as recessed panel lines or rivets. Decal set can then be used to set the decal in place.

I will be honest with you, often I just use the softening solution and find that the decal snuggles down over the plastic detail just fine; without the use of decal setting solution. I enjoy using the Micro Sol softening solution available at many hobby shops.

You will find that solutions come in various strengths as well. Solva Set for instance is very strong stuff and I don't use it often. Only if there is a really stubborn decal which won't conform do I apply it. Hope this helps you out some. All the best, Russell.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 12:39 PM UTC
What Russell said....word for word.

Hermon
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 12:44 PM UTC
It is also important to remember that some decals will react violently to even mild solutions. I have learned to avoid solutions on decals from the 2 big Japanese kit manufacturers. From other manufacturers, I have found that setting solution will not work at all. It is best to try it out on a spare decal from each decal sheet, because you just never know. Otherwise, you may find yourself searching the spare decal box.
Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 06:01 PM UTC
Thanks guys for the responses, it helped alot. I did try some out on a Tamiya F4-U, wasn't to sure toputit on first or last; so I did both They seemed to settle down alright, not the best, but some of them had a fair bit of silvering, especially in the middle of some of the more clearer ones. Thanks again for the responses
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 07:36 PM UTC
G'day Nick.

Check out my F-84G in the Aluminium campaign. I found the Mr Mark Setter did a great job of settling the decals, but must have released the pigments because when I applied the flat top coat some of the colours ran.

As Carl said, do some test flights first with your intended combo.

Cheers, D
Phil_H
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 546 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 03:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys for the responses, it helped alot. I did try some out on a Tamiya F4-U, wasn't to sure toputit on first or last; so I did both They seemed to settle down alright, not the best, but some of them had a fair bit of silvering, especially in the middle of some of the more clearer ones. Thanks again for the responses

Keep in mind too that when using a decal setting solvent, the surface you're applying the decal to must be glossy. This will help reduce silvering and help the decal lay down flat. If you apply setting solution to a decal on a flat painted surface, it may shrivel ( as it's meant to) but then may not lay down flat afterwards due to drag from the surface.
 _GOTOTOP