_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Pics of 95% done Thunderbolt
andy007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 10:07 PM UTC
Hi all
Here are some photos of my 1/48 P-47 razorback by testors.
Now that i have just about completed the kit I can fully evaulate it.
Well what can i say.............The kit has a bad fit specially the wings and fuslage no cock pit detail at all. But overall I enjoyed seeing that it was my first 1/48 airplane.
it is now awaiting the coat of matt finish over the decals .....once i get to the hobby shop.

here are the photos.
Left side

right back

if you would like to see more visit Testors P-47D razorback thunderbolt

scoccia
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 10:29 PM UTC
Andrew,
no way to see it this is the error msg I get:

Webshots Community Error
A problem has been detected.

You do not appear to be the owner of this album.
Make sure you are logged in.

Ciao
andy007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 10:31 PM UTC
sorry about that scoccia will fix it now
scoccia
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:01 PM UTC
Andy, thanks for fixing the links. I'm not an airplane fella but these are the things that I think can be improved:
- the red areas on the nose and the tail need to be better "separated" from the rest of the paintwork, why you don't try to mask the areas around them and give another red coat to have a sharp colour separation?
- are you hand painting the kit (without an airbrush)? The paint coat looks to me to be a bit too thick...
- are you going to give the model a wash and a dry-brush (to highlight the inset and raised details)?
Ciao
Plasticbattle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:16 PM UTC
Nice first effort Andy .......... I agree with Scoccia about some washes to and drybrushing to highlight the panel lines and detail. I like the grimey look by hand painting! Not an aircraft guy either ...... so cant help much either. Maybe it would be an idea if you took the photographs outside or with better light, so they can be seen better! vest of luck Andy!
WeWillHold
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:29 PM UTC
Da T Bolt Dude

Andy, thanks for the pics---your thread says it all --".....overall I enjoyed seeing that it was my first 1/48 airplane."

Steve
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 12:10 AM UTC
Lord Andy,

Looking great. Especially take into account the plane is hand painted, it's good work from a young modeler.

To comply with the rules here, I did see a little silvering on the decal, I will send you a bottle of decal softner/settler that I have been using all along, this will help you out with the silvering thing in the package I am about to send you.

Keep up the good work. Andy.

Da Truth and Friends are Outta There
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 02:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe it would be an idea if you took the photographs outside or with better light, so they can be seen better!

Plasticbattle beat me to it. Try taking a pic outside in natural sunlight with a white background. This will give us a better look at the finished product.

I'm building the same kit with my daughter as her first model so I know all the work you put into it.

Here are some comments I have:
1. In the second pic, the trailing edge of the port wing needs touching up with paint.
2. It looks like you may have missed painting the canopy frames of the windscreen.
3. For brush painting, I think it looks good. I like the 'grimey' effect the brush painting has given the finish.
andy007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 08:42 AM UTC
Hi Guys
Thank you for all the comments,
iam hand painting as you can probaly tell Scoccia i have had a problem with the red there is 2 coats on already and I can't seem to get it right. I first stared by painting the wings and things before construction so when i had to fill it I had to sand a lot but now found a technique that dosen't involve sanding.
The pics were taken inside because the weather has been abouslute rubbish over the last few days here In Hamilton but when I get a fine day I will take some.
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 11:09 AM UTC
Andy, instead of handpainting the olive, if thats what you said, you could kust get a can of testors spreay paint. I just think it would make more sense than sitting for hours and day on end, not going to work, not paying bills, just painting. HA HA HA, other than that it looks great. I'll give ya $60,ooo,oo. for it.

~Chip #:-)
tazz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 11:32 AM UTC
nice plane,,,
here is a tip i read in a book and i been doing this put the decals on frist then the landing gear. and all the bombs and the prop is also last
tazz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 11:40 AM UTC
hey andy iam going to build the P-47D razorback thunderbolt soon,
so how many planes have u built. u are doing a great job.
and each one will get better.
and like i said put the deacls on frist that gives u more room and all ways put the landing gear and bombs and the prop last,
and when u glue in the landing use to books and prop up the plane so the landing gear dont hit.
what ido is put the wings on a book on each side and the gear will hang down and dry
Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 12:18 PM UTC
Hey Andy, good job on that Jug. A couple of pointers though.

When painting the red (or yellow, or any light color), spray paint the area flat white first, then paint it red. This will make the color really stand out. Spraying the red on would be your best bet as it would result in a more even coverage pattern and wouldn't show brush marks.

I agree with the others that spraying on the olive drab would give a better result, be sure to mask off the red areas so that you get a nice crisp separation line.

Than apply some Future Floor Polish to the areas where the decals will go to help them lay better and reduce the chance of silvering. Once the decals are on, your coat of Flat will help them blend into the surface and you'll be good to go.
 _GOTOTOP