_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Vote for Early Aviations Best Kit of the Year
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 - 08:49 AM UTC
There have been a lot of great kits this year, and next year looks to be even better. We can let the kit-makers know what we like and why we like it. So vote for one early aviation kit in each of the major scales (32nd, 48th, and 72nd or other scales if you want.) and let us know why you like it. If you have something you think is important, include that. Remember, we are not nitpicking kits, just voting for what we think should be the kit of the year.

Pick the best kit of the year, and the best in each scale.

1/32nd scale. Wingnut Wings LVG. It is a beautiful kit that is engineered to build well for modelers of all skill levels. The decal are fantastic. The Instructions have set a new standard for other manufacturers to emulate. And when it is built, it is a beautiful model. I think this is the overall kit of the year.

1/48th scale. Eduards Fokker Dr.I. in all of its current offerings. I haven't been getting as many kits in this scale as in the past. But I really like this one. It is a great subject with really nice decals that offer a lot of colorful options. It is also one of my favorite subjects.

1/72nd scale. No choice here. I don't buy anything in this scale because it is beyond my abilities to build in this tiny scale.
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 171 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 01:05 AM UTC
Unfortunately most everything in 1/72 this year were re-releases. Eduard's kits (Dr.I, Nie.17 and D.V) mainly.

So, that leaves only one (in three boxes) choice. AZ Models Morane-Saulnier Type L/Pfalz A.I/A.II/E.III.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 - 01:27 AM UTC
I agree that the WNW kits have set a new standard, seeing the on line builds, and the stuff on their website. However, I will depart from WNW on this survey.

1/32nd: Roden Siemens Schuckert. Roden is to be commended for their continued production of 1/32nd scale WWI kits. This is a kit that has long been overlooked by the kit makers for decades and it is good to see Roden come out with this.

1/48: Mirage broke ground with their 1/48 Halberstadt. I haven't built the kit, but own one and I think it is a great subject with a comprehensive instruction sheet, and decals for multiple subjects.

1/72nd: I don't build in this scale and have no clue what is out there or quality thereof.

_GOTOTOP