_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
What colors are needed to paint a Bf109G-14?
cvikings67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 05:55 AM UTC
I have a Bf109g-14 I would like to paint. I would like to get a list of the colors needed. The kit has a color guide, but, I think the paint #s are the original German #s. Where would I go to cross reference these #s? I would like to find a acrylic paint to use for this. This will be my first kit and any tips would be helpful. Thanks, Chris
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 06:41 AM UTC
Hey Chris, maybe this will help.
You can get colors as well as camo schemes from this sight.
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2000/02/stuff_eng_profile_bf109.htm

As for paint brands you can go several ways. I usually use Tamiya because they are great paints. The downside is that if you're doing German schemes you usually end up haveing to custom mix the colors. Model Master Acrylic is another brand I use now and then. I don't like them as much as Tamiya but at least you can buy their paints in the exact German colors you'll need.

Hope this helped.
Hermon
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 07:43 AM UTC
Hey there Chris, Russell here. I painted my late war Messerschmitt 109G in RLM 76 undersides, with RLM 75 and RLM 83 topsides. As far as paints go, I use the Polly Scale acrylic paints and have used the Model Master Acryl paints as well. They are easy to use, easy to clean up and thin with just regular water. IPMS Stockholm is a great resource as well. Take a look at what they have to offer. Hope this helps. Russell

P.S. I've included a couple photos of my 1/72 scale Me-109G. It isn't a G-14, it is a G-6. It's your model a little license is alright as far as colors go. Especially at the end of the war.

Thought you might like to see a 109 in standard colors of RLM 74/75 splinter scheme, with RLM 76 on undersides. Hope you enjoy the look. Russell

cvikings67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 12:07 PM UTC
Thanks guys, I have just gotten a airbrush from my bro' and I love the color schemes for the bf109. This will be a first for both. Any other tips or advice would be appreciated. I'm a newby all the way in this department. Thanksagain, Chris
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
AeroScale: 340 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 09:53 AM UTC
In terms of paints, I tend to use ModelMasters' acrylics to avoid the mixing since they have a good selection of RLM paints and their tones are reasonabliy spot on.

Cheers,

Hermann
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 06:29 AM UTC
Hi Chris. What numbers does the guide give? I suspect RLM 74/75 over 76. Several manufacturers do their interpretations of RLM colours. Do you have a preference?
Steve
cvikings67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 04:46 AM UTC
I went with model master acrylics. It will be the 74/75 over 76. I got my paint, A book on using the airbrush, and also a book on modeling the bf109g from squadron and am going to give it a shot. Thanks for the help,guys. Chris
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 02:08 PM UTC
Hi there, great choice on the paints. What kind of airbrush are you going to use? Russell
 _GOTOTOP