_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
model aviation world
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 12:49 AM UTC
Did anyone buy this new magazine yet?

and...

Is it living up to the high expectations?
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 02:29 AM UTC
Yes

and

Well, it's the aviation section of MIS extended. Same quality of photography, same good choice of subjects, same reliance on European-school modelling (which I'm not saying is a bad thing), same occasional cock-up on the syntax front.

What's new is that the extra room allows space for interesting articles that aren't just "how I built this model". For instance, the first issue has a piece about whether to weather aircraft. Its tone is a bit questionable but it's a good idea and will spur a lot of careful thought.

My first impression is that there's a lower text-to-picture ratio than before, even though some of the pictures are postage-stamp sized. I personally think that, while a picture can paint a thousand words, the two are both needed in a modelling mag because without a bit of explanation you can't always see what's going on. But it's early days yet.

One other odd feature: a phenomenal number of red pages. I think Airfix have bought every available scrap of advertising space.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 04:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes

and

Well, it's the aviation section of MIS extended. Same quality of photography, same good choice of subjects, same reliance on European-school modelling (which I'm not saying is a bad thing), same occasional cock-up on the syntax front.

What's new is that the extra room allows space for interesting articles that aren't just "how I built this model". For instance, the first issue has a piece about whether to weather aircraft. Its tone is a bit questionable but it's a good idea and will spur a lot of careful thought.

My first impression is that there's a lower text-to-picture ratio than before, even though some of the pictures are postage-stamp sized. I personally think that, while a picture can paint a thousand words, the two are both needed in a modelling mag because without a bit of explanation you can't always see what's going on. But it's early days yet.

One other odd feature: a phenomenal number of red pages. I think Airfix have bought every available scrap of advertising space.

seems promising indeed.

About airfix: I have a big soft spot for Airfix My first ???? models were airfix. Its thanks to the Airfix habit of placing small historical texts on their boxes that I managed to make the link between history, airplanes and technology.
 _GOTOTOP