_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1/48 2-seat Sopwith Camel Project
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 02:10 PM UTC
Hi all,

As you all know, Roden released a little while back a 1/72 scale 2-seat trainer version of the Sopwith Camel as used by a number of training squadrons in England. The two seat camel was converted by removing the guns and ammunition, moving the pilot forward, relocating and reducing the fuel tank, and installing a second cockpit behind the first. The idea was that pilots could be trained in the Camel's vices with the helping (yet cramped) hands of an instructor, however, of course the handling qualities were somewhat different between the single and two seat variants. There was at least one in service with 5SQN Australian Flying Corps, which piqued my interest:

This scene shows the disassembly of two seat Camel F1946 of 5AFC at the end of hostilities. I decided that the above scene would make the basis for a nice little diorama.

As far as I am aware, there is no commercial conversion or kit of the two seat Camel in 1/48 scale. So I have decided to convert the Eduard 1/48 scale single seater kit. So far all I have done is the cockpit openings. The conversion was reasonably simple, using the two kit pieces supplied, I cut, spliced and filled until I had the basic shape - the front cockpit was moved forward, a second placed behind, and the headrest fitted. Bulkheads were added, as were windscreen brackets and coamings for both cockpits. Anyways, here is what it looks like before paint.

And after:

Here is a comparison to the kit parts, showing the differences. I have not yet added the locating holes for the cabanes.

Next is onto the cockpit itself. Does anyone have any schematics or pics of the two seat camel's cockpit? I am thinking that the seats would have been raised slightly to counter the cramped leg room. Anyone know where the fuel tank was relocated to? I am thinking it was probably forward of the front pilot where the ammo cans may have been, or perhaps under the rear seat? Anyone?

Cheers!

BC
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 08:02 PM UTC
It just so happens that I have some drawings you might find of value.
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 08:29 PM UTC
Many thanks Stephen - looks like I wil have to re-work that rear cockpit location to move it further aft

BC
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 11:18 PM UTC
Stephen Lawson very kindly provided me with some schematics for the two seat Camel - on examining these, I realised that I was way way off on my dimensions - the front cockpit opening was too narrow, and the rear one way too far forward. Sigh! So, a cut or six later, more filler and superglue, and the adjustments have been made. The rear cockpit is now centralised in the rear frame behind the plywood section, and the front cockpit opening is wider. Some clean up still to go, but glad I made the changes as this will help me when I come to build the interior.

:D

BC
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 12:04 AM UTC
Will be following this build with great interest Brad Nice to see a different take on a Camel .
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 04:42 PM UTC
I thought you might find them enlightening. No worries mate!
 _GOTOTOP