_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
panel shading??
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 09:27 AM UTC
hi guys ive noticed alot of modellers building aircraft airbrushing either a darkish grey or black in the panel line crevises. i suspect this to be called panel shading??
sorry if im mistaken. i was wonderin is it possible to do it with a brush instead of the airbrush?? atm im strapped for cash with it coming up to christmas and i wanted to do my 1/72 hurricane.

if anyone can gimme any help on doing this
it would be much apreciated

tanks in advance
tony
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 11:19 AM UTC
Hi Anthony
As for preshading with a brush, I see no reason why It can't be done. You'll just need to thin the paint down so that you don't end up with really thick lines. And remember, black for dark colored paint schemes and grey for lighter colors.

Hermon
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 11:32 AM UTC
thank you hermon

is there any particular techniquw to doing panel preshading??
is water best used for thinning paints down with acrylics? i only use tamiya's and vallejo's

tony
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 12:18 PM UTC
Acrylics work fine when thinned with water. Although I'm in the minority I guess, preshading dosen't seem necessary to me. I don't see the benefits, plus, when the real aircraft are painted they are not preshaded. My goal is to build and paint the aircraft as close to the way the real aircraft is done. Hope this helps. If you are going to do preshading just thin the black paint or dark grey paint down with a little water is what I would suggest. Hermon is right. Russell
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 12:42 PM UTC
Anthony, don't try and brush Tamiya paints. You'll end up quiting the hobby.
Seriously, Tamiya just isn't good for brush painting. Go with the Vallejo thinned with water.

Russell, the preshading is just to add depth. It's another form of weathering. I agree with what you said about real aircraft not being preshaded before they are painted, but the whole preshading thing is for weathered-worn-used aircraft. Check out this pic:

This isn't the best photo but you see how the panels on top of the fuselage just in fron of the tail fins are shaded. This is what I go for when preshading.

Hermon
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 02:19 PM UTC
I agree with Hermon, brush painting Tamiya paints can be problematic. Although I use Polly Scale and Model Master Acryl paints which brush just fine, I defer to Hermon in knowing about the Vallejo colors and how they brush. Russell

P.S. I see what you mean Hermon, I understand the reasoning I just don't do it, of course I rarely weather my models because I'm afraid I'll screw them up! Ha ha
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 12:19 AM UTC
thank you for all your responses guys

ill have to make a trip to manchester modelzone and get some vallejo paints
vallejo's are the best all round for brush paintiin yes?

tony
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 01:46 AM UTC
Hi Tony !
Yes Vallejo paints are the best for brush painting ! Caution with thinning with water , the paint will not really stick to the surface very well ( rubs of with your fingers ) you can use rubbing alcohol or Testors Acrylic thinner . Before you lay down your base coat over the pre-shading make sure the pre-shading is sealed with a clear coat . Don't use lacquers , this will cause it to run really bad .

You can also use a black sharpie for this as well and avoid the whole painting them in and just draw them instead .
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 01:56 AM UTC
Do you want to brush paint the model?

I think you can drop preshading if you do, because I can't see how you would get the effect.

If you want to airbrush it, so why not preshading with the airgun .. it doesn't ot have to be fully cured for the next layer. just change the paint and on you go. Most "authors" just stop at that point to take a pic, but for working it is not necessary (esp. when you work with acrylics).

Just my 2 ct and I must add that I normally spray too thick layers for the preshading, so I just leave it out (in most cases) .. there's always postshading

cheers

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP