Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Lavochkin La-7 question
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 07:57 AM UTC
I've just got the Hobby Boss 1/72 La-7 and have a couple of question arising from vague instructions.
I would like to do the 'White 23' as flown by Kozhedub. My first question concerns the decking in front of the cockpit. You get 2 options of decking in the kit but the kit doesn't say which relates to which marking options you choose. There is decking with 2 and then 3 bulges - I'm guessing because of the armament - does anyone know which is correct for Kozhedub's plane?
The next questions concern the camou. The instructions have the plane as light grey underneath with the tops and sides been the same light grey with medium grey and gray blue camouflage. The Gray blue only appears on the lower portions of the rear fuselage - is this correct? Wouldn't the light grey only be for the undersides and the med gray and gray blue be the upper camou colours?

thanks
Mike
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 09:25 PM UTC
Yes, the upper front fuselage panels are for either 2 or 3-gun. They of course go with corresponding cowling rings, but that's probably already mentioned on the instructions?

A quick googling turned up this review, according to which both the marking options should be of the 2-gun type.

Light-blue undersides with medium and blue uppers sounds accurate rather than what you described the instuctions depicting.

Ps. Oh, there seems to a review of the kit right here on Aeroscale. This must be what you're referring to? ->
Looks like the underside color extends to fuselage sides, with a curved demarcation line between the wing root and stabiliser. The rudder seems to be painted the upperside light grey.
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 10:45 AM UTC
Hi
The problem with the nose decking (and cowlings) is the the instructions don't tell you which option is for which plane (there are 2 marking options). So I need to know of Kozehdub flew a 3 gun or 2 gun plane.
I thought that might the case about the camou scheme but its always best to check.
thanks
Mike
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 10:47 AM UTC
Re-read your answer so its ok now - 2 guns it is - the instructions are vague about this and other things though.
thanks
Mike
 _GOTOTOP